What software used to make Video Tutorials

Will one of the more experienced amongst us please respond to this query with which software they had the best results with making video / audio tutorials? I did use Camtasia Studio and it works pretty well. I did not have very much success with the quality of the audio, but it was probably my lack of experience with it, or perhaps even the quality of my head- set. I did find that a real low-cost headset couldn't be used at all. I couldn't get distinguishable volume out of it, for some reason. It is extremely easy to use, however. I would rather spend whatever time I need to, to learn a program, if the end result will be a more substantial video. Also, what file format, would you recommend to save the video file as? Thanks in advance, Benjamin Halpin

Reply to
ben-halpin

"make the video interesting" "I find myself losing interest quickly."

- Jon Banquer- Aug 3, 2006

Reply to
brewertr

This works well, and will output directly to swf if you want.

I prefer to output a raw AVI file, then edit it with something like

You can then re-render the whole thing to XVID to compress it.

You might try recording the sound AFTERWARDS, and dubbing it in (with virtualdub) after editing your AVI file.

something like this would work well.

Every bit of what is used is free.

Reply to
sittingduck

CamStudio is excellent, check out also

is based on CamStudio. And for finnish guys out there, you can get the translation pack from my site:

Markku Lehtola

Benjamin,

Most of us here at SW use Camtasia. I agree that audio can be one of the trickiest parts and getting it clean and consistent (correct db) is not easy.

First tip, and most obvious, is to pick a room that is quiet with little back ground noise. Second is to make sure that that your computer is the same - use a laptop for instance with little fan noise.

I clean up all my audio with two programs that I've come to know and love: SoundForgeXP and Adobe Audition. Each has noise cleaning filters as well as normalizing that are pretty sophisticated and can eliminate mic pops, clicks, filter out hum and other background noise etc. I'm using more of Audition these days since my SoundForge is older version and out of date and is not compatible with much other than .wav files - but I do miss some cool things with SoundForgeXP.

Find yourself a good audio editing program and it should take care of the deficiencies of a live voiceover.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

And use battery to make sure your fan doesn't go crazy because you're charging it. And if you're really like to get more professional, get a decent microphone. Laptop's built in one isn't propably the best one.

Audacity is also a good and free choice.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thank you all, Gentlemen. Mr Biasotti, I do have Audition floating around somewhere, I will fiddle with that as well. I appreciate your response. Benjamin Halpin

Reply to
ben-halpin

There's also an intersting product out from TechSmith also called Jing Project

creates a .swf file that you can do screen captures and embed. It's doesn't have as much as Camtasia but it's nice for quick screen grabs.

Josh

solidsmack

Hmm,.. it's a fun, easy to install and quick little tool,... it's very nice!

There's also an intersting product out from TechSmith also called Jing

Reply to
zxys

Thank you again, Gentlemen, that is the cleverest little program I have seen in awhile. Very effective presentation, to show progress on a project! Benjamin Halpin

Reply to
ben-halpin