Threaded cut

I have a cylinder on which i would like to draw threaded cut at each end (i.e. to make it like some sort of double-ended bolt). how would i draw this? the bolts in solidworks seem to have some sort of revolved cut but i can't seem to figure out how to do that. thanks!

Reply to
mrshael

I don't know if it is in the help now or the knowledge base but SW documents very well how to cut a thread into a cylider. Look under sweeps and also under helix.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I know how to cut a hole into the cylinder, but i'm trying to make the cylinder itself be like a bolt. i want to attach nuts at both ends. could you give me some more details where to look? i've been having some trouble.

Reply to
mrshael

What I mean't is look in help under Sweep and look in the knowledge base under the topic sweep.

I don't know if it is in the help now or the knowledge base but SW documents very well how to cut a thread into a cylider. Look under sweeps and also under helix.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

This is fairly simple but the first obstacle is that where to find the "sweep cut" tool. I believe that this tool needs to be added to the tool bar. This can be done by right clicking into a blank tool bar space and then selecting "customize". Then under commands select "features". Drag this over to the features tool bar.

Then by making a sketch on a plane that is on the CL of the shaft draw one thread. When this thread is "revolve cut" it can then be patterned. The size, pitch, and number of threads can then be referenced to the diameter etc.

Hope this helps,

EdT

Reply to
Ed

E-mail me , and I will give you the numbers that you need to reach my dump site, where I will put a video/audio tutorial on this very subject for you. It is 16 MGB in size and you will need an FTP Client, and a Broadband connection that will give you decent D/L speed.

Good luck, G. De Angelis

Valhalla Grafix LTD De Angelis Tool

G. De Angelis