global variables in design tables

OK, I'm using SW2K5 with global variables. I created some configurations and now want to manage them via a design table.

How do I update these global variables in design table? I went through the help without any luck. What am I missing?

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

By "global values" do you mean linked values? Did they change the name and I failed to notice? Anyhow, find an instance of a dimension where it is used and link that into the design table in the usual way.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

In 2005 they introduced global variables in the equation editor. So I can enter dog=25, which becomes "dog" = 25.

I can then reference that variable as "dog". I can't believe it took 10 years to get that one.

Problem is I'm unsure how to enter that variable in a design table, it states it's a bad header or something.

My work around was to create a sketch, link those dims to the design table, then link the global variable to those dims from the design table.

Seems like a lot of screwing around to control these new things called variables.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Finally! Can you reference it when you enter a dimesion value? That would be handy. Instead of creating a dim then linking it or creating an equation you just type the equation into the value box.

:( I keep getting a syntax error when I try to use it.

Reply to
mark Bannister

NO, sorry. But you can add that dimension name in the equation editor = to the variable. D1@sketch="dog"

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

No, but at least you can click the little arrow on the right side of the dim value box and select one of those options without having to go through the old routine.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I was really hoping someone would be able to show me the way on this one. I can't believe they would add this feature to equations but not design tables.

Reply to
Keith Streich

Yes, please submit an enhancement for this so we can get this as soon as possible. Without configurability, it has limited use.

Keith Streich wrote:

configurations

Reply to
Gil'Dashard

You can get these to show up in design tables. Click on a dimension, then add equation, like "length=4". Hit OK. Click on the dimension again, and link it's value to "length". Hit OK. Insert a design table. It should give you the option of picking length@Sketch1 as a column.

Then again, maybe this is not what you are trying to do. I may be out in left field on that.

Brian

Keith Streich wrote:

Reply to
Brian

Yes, I'm aware of this, but I don't want the "@sketch1" portion. You are referring to a linked dimension, I'm referring about the global variables in Solidworks 2005. I would be nice to control these via a design table.

Keith

configurations

Reply to
Keith Streich