Sheet metal swamp

I don't do sheet metal that often - but I think I have just wandered off the path into the swamp where SW bugs live off the blood of the innocent.

Can you have two configurations of a a sheetmetal part. - Box A and Box B?

Five sided folded box.

Box A 525mmx 400 x 20mm deep

Box B 525 x 1000mm x 20mm deep

Box A has four ripped corners and folds flat and works fine

Box B has four ripped corners but fails to form a sheet metal part !!!! urgHHHHH

I think I'll just make two boxes as two seperate parts -

I have just castrated my SW voodoo doll so I hope someone at SW has a bad weekend!! -- No I have just reconstructed the doll, as castration is a bit harsh a punishment.

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Up to a point there can be configurations and sheet metal. You cannot have two sheet metal features in a part, i.e., a multibody with a sheet metal feature on more that one body.

Is it possible that in resizing the box the edge numbering has changed which causes the edges that were used for the rip to become invalid?

Reply to
TOP

Don'y know but I junked the configuration that did not work and did it again. Now it seems OK - so perhaps you are right or my Voodoo is very strong !! and the spirit of the programmer responsible for this, felt a little tug in his pants !! and has fixed the problem :-)

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Thanks Paul - I had originally all the edges in on rip feature - so perhaps this overloaded the sw programme. I'll bear this in mind for future sheetmetal.

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Based on my previous response, try this:

  1. Create your box.
  2. Right click on an edge used for rip.
  3. Click on Edge Properties
  4. Give the edge a name like Rip 1, Rip 2, etc.
  5. Repeat for all ripped edges.

Try you configs. Check that the names don't dissappear between rips.

Reply to
TOP

Yes, there are bugs in sheetmetal (and lots of other places). I asked for support on a simple problem over two months ago (SPR# 264015) and they are still scratching their heads. My products have alread been prototyped and we are going for a second design pass. Good to know that my support dollars get me lots of timely help! :-(

The problem was almost as simple as yours: Creating a simple flange on a part with just a few bends was impossible. A serious bug.

How did I fix it? I asked my sheetmetal fabricator, who uses Pro-E, to put in the feature for me. Talk about being embarassed.

-Martin

Reply to
Martin

I've found the rip tool to be flakey and seemingly unable to do anything except corners joined 90 deg. Changing the base shape to anything less or more and it falls off the tracks! I share your pain

Reply to
Neville Williams