Sheet metal cutting

Hello, my first post here (even if lurking for some time)

I have a problem using the sheet metal feature in Solidworks 2007.

I need to build an object made like a squared "C" (or a square box with an opening in the middle of one face, for the whole lenght), about 50x50mm extruded for 1000 mm.

This is a quick scheme:

At both the ends, this extrusion shoud be cut at 45=B0: i need that to be made as sheet metal, since I want to unfold that and cut on CAM machine.

I create the base feature, and all the sheet metal extension ("flange", since I am using italian version of SW), but when I apply the extruded cut it just gives en error on all the sheet metal features.

Any idea on how to do that?

Reply to
jollyroger

create the (2x) 45 deg planes first (construction planes) sketch base flange (complete profile) extrude base flange, direction 1, up to surface, construction plane 1 extrude base flange, direction 2, up to surface, construction plane 2

hth kenneth

Reply to
kenneth

It works, thanks a lot.

After posting here I achieved about the same result, by modeling my piece as a thin solid extrusion and then converting the piece (with extruded cuts) to sheet metal.

I guess the error came up when the cuts, running through the base flange, produced a 45 degrees cut on the edge: it seems that SW can simulate only sheets cut with standard guillotine shears, and has some problems with partial incisions like the ones made by a milling cutter.

Is it possible to avoid having the edges rouded automatically by the sheet metal function?

Reply to
jollyroger

other options besides Ken's (which was just fine):

Design as flat and insert sketched bends (cumbersome)

Design oversize, unfold, cut across bends, fold (less cumbersome than design as flat, better for design)

Reply to
That70sTick

Sketch the "C", use Base-Flange with Midplane option, make a cut to the other end, mirror cut. No problems here.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola