sheet metal

I'm a farily new user. I've been trying to turn the outside face of an eccentric cone into sheet metal and be able to unfold it. Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Thank You

Reply to
Peter

bob z. isn't quite sure how to take that face and do anything with it. when bob z. first learned to use swx, though, a cone was the very first thing he wanted to draw. of course, this was the first thing that wasn't 'work-related'.

the key to making this work and unfolding it is to do a revolve, but do not revolve your part (feature) the full 360 degrees. stop short at about 359 or something like that.

good luck and have fun!

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

You can draw 2 circles (with small breaks in them) on parallel planes seperated by distance, then use the sheet metal 'lofted bends' command to form the shape. It will unfold and as long as any modifications (cut's etc) are 'normal cuts' or done when bends are collected it will retain the unfold capability.

Unfortunately the only thing I want to do with them (lop one end off with a spline) cannot be done 'normal cut' so I lose the unfold capability.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Select a straight edge instead of a face. The cone has to have a gap in it, like a 359 deg revolve.

Oh, sorry, you said "eccentric" cone. Yeah, you're gonna have to do the lofted bend that someone already mentioned. SW can unroll a regular cone.

On the other hand, if it's just a regular cone where the ends are cut not perpendicular to the cone axis, then the edge can be used to flatten it.

Anyway, good luck.

matt

"Peter" wrote in news:MmZ4d.29581$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
matt

Hi Peter,

I made a couple models that show examples of how to do this. Mind you, they are fairly simple, but worth taking a look at. One shows the "lofted method" and the other shows the "polygon method".

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Thanks everyone. It worked like a charm.

Reply to
Peter