Square to Round (Sheet Metal)

Hi,
Can anyone please help me I'm a SolidWorks novice using 2005 SP0? I have been trying to develop out a square to round pattern that can
actually be made, however when I use the loft feature on the sheet metal toolbar I get a nice looking flat sheet but when you put it into a drawing and go to dimension it there are no fold lines and I cant dimension up the freeform bend that is created at the round end of the part which makes it tricky to manufacture. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or know of a work around if I'm right?
--
Jason Longley

Freeform bend is just that FREE FORM. Basically there are no bend lines because how would you define them. For instance you can make a helix with FreeForm bends how do you describe a helix with bend lines. Wouldn't the best method for creating the part be to make a "freeform" tool to wrap it around. What process is the shop going to use to create the part?
Corey

Generally in a square to round, you have the corners of the square that define the die positions at that end. Then you work the other end of the die around the circle. Therefore, the bend lines would be as many as you wanted to hit.
The other way to do it is to make a special die that is sharp on one end, and round on the other end.
WT

metal
You are correct in your description of the forming of a square to round..but the press brake operator needs something to go by. Thus my dissatisfaction with the 'freeform' bend. We would like to be able to etch marks on the laser or cut small 'divots' at the end opposite the common corner for bend locations.
Jeff
btw - what's with the top posting, I get busted everytime I do that on this board..

this
Outlook standard here I never really think about it. Let us know if Steve Tietz response works for what you want.
Corey

round..but
dissatisfaction
this
I'll jump in on the top/bottom posting again.
Top posting, in my opinion, is better if the person reading has been following the thread. You are up-to-date, you click on the message, you read the new stuff, and don't have to scroll forever to see where to start reading. Now, I know that <snip> is used to reduce the length of the messages, and also sometimes the best way to reply is by interspersing your answers with the existing text, but for me, those are the exceptions.
Bottom posting is better for the person that wants to start at the top of the thread and read a week's worth of conversation.
Either way, (not considering the exceptions) top posting is still more work for the poster, as they have to scroll, rather than just typing at the top. For those of us that are in the NG every day, it saves time, and for those that are donating their time to help others, that swings the pendulum that direction.
So, for me, top wins, both as the poster & reader, but that's just my opinion. :-)
WT

the
round..but
dissatisfaction
this
My sentiments exactly.

can
I'm
bend
I apologize. It was not the comp.cad.solidworks group that harps on top posting, it was the alt.fan.dune group. Personally I also prefer top posting. I guess it shows that engineers prefer top posting while dune fans prefer bottom posting.
--
Jeff

"Corey Scheich" < snipped-for-privacy@garlockequiP.com> wrote in message
look on 3dcontentcentral.com for some sheetmetal examples. There are some that can do what you need & create bend lines. The basic process is to loft a surface -- then thicken it -- then insert bends -- & flatten. The freeform bend is designed to do a shape as a forming operation. There are no bend lines on forming operations. To do what you need use a lofted surface first with multiple straight edges on the corners instead of fillets.
Hope that helps Steve Tietz

Had a look on 3dContentcentral.com but couldn't find anything sheetmetal using the search can you tell me what they are listed under.
Cheers
Jason

--
Jason Longley (Drawing Office)

http://www.apco1650.demon.co.uk /
your right I think I may have told you wrong... The files should be on the model library on the solidworks website. I had thought that they moved everything to 3dcontent central & did away with the library. I don think you can just browse to the model library anymore. However I found a direct link to it by using the search engine on the solidworks website: http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/subscription/modellibrary/index.html
it will require you to login with your sw serial number. If you have trouble with this then I will email you the file I have directly to you.
Hope that helps Steve Tietz

metal
-----
individual
of
Co.
this
copying
-----
sorry forgot the rest of the story... once you click on the link .. login.. you will then click on PARTS --> SHEETMETAL. I believe the one you want to download is called transition_duct.SLDPRT
or just email me directly with out the word REMOVE & I will just send it to you.
Steve Tietz

the
those
Thanks Just what I need
Jason

--
Jason Longley (Drawing Office)

http://www.apco1650.demon.co.uk /

There are a few examples of this very thing on the SolidWorks website.