Upgrade to 2005 yet...

My boss is itching to jump into SW2005 from SW2003. My suggestion to him was to go to SW2004 with the latest SP and wait for a few SW2005 service packs. Is this reasonable plan? Is Solidworks reputation of needing at least a few major SP's to get it right still hold true. I'd hate to loose the stability of SW2003SP5.0

Reply to
VFR

I recommend waiting. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Reply to
D. Short

Why you've so many problems with 2003 SP5? If you have not very good (new)components in your computer 2004 or 2005 with few SP can work unstable.

I'm going to jump from 2003 to 2005 but I'm changing my Dell with P4 2.4,

512 MB RAM, GeForce MX440 for Dual Opteron, 2GB RAM, Quadro FX500 (I don't need better card).

Think about it...

zygzag

Reply to
zygzag

I would never load SP0 of a Solidworks release. We did once and we lost a weeks worth of work after rolling back to the previous version.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

VFR wrote in news:MPG.1be8ae9fdf91e1d989683@news- west.giganews.com:

Test it and see if it's stable for your work. Also, check to make sure that productivity enhancements (there's a bunch of them) outweigh any instability you find.

For my work, I have regularly found that an sp0 install is almost always worthwhile for the productivity. In my experience, there are more good service packs than bad (and there have been some awful ones).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I was going to say that maybe I'm the odd duck out here as I have been using it and bringing others online as they need it. I have crashed many times, which is not enjoyable, but I can't say that it's any more than with 2004. It's also happening when I have 2 car bodies loaded, 2.4gb of RAM being used, and rotating and manipulating it to check for clearances, etc.

So, I agree with Dale - check it out on your own stuff - the enhancements are good for us.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany