Flat Sheet metal part from 3d cone

Hello all,

I am new to Solid Works and have been pulling my hair out on how to convert a 3d cone into a flattened sheet metal part. The cone has been created properly using a thin loftwith two sketches. It needs to be cut and then flattened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Tweasl

Try making your cone "properly" with a revolve, instead.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Tweasl

did that work? bob z. gets VERY inconsistent behavior from solidworks when trying to flatten a sheet metal cone. bob z. spent hours trying to figure out what he was doing wrong and what worked on one cone didn't work on the very next cone.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Look at Ed Eaton's SWW2007 presentation. I think he touched on that subject.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Larry,

In the two sketches did you draw circle's or arc's?

Did you use "Sheet Metal" "Lofted Bend" or "Features" "Lofted Base/Boss"?

****** If you used two circles I suggest you edit your sketches. Make them arc's, 1) Arc properties a) start points will be i) vertical ii) X.0 iii) Y=(arc radius) c) angle use "359.99" deg.

Then use "Sheet Metal" "Lofted Bend", then to flatten out the pattern you can "unsupress" "unfold" or "Flatten-Pattern" which ever it is (don't remember the exact term SolidWorks uses off the top of my head.)

If you need a specific gap between ends (your referenced cut) you have a little more work to do.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Made the cone "properly" with a revolve. Easy enough thanks. Still cant make a pattern from this, any ideas?

Larry

Reply to
Tweasl

Thanks I will.

Reply to
Tweasl

Fantastic website for sheetmetal..........

Reply to
dutch

I just got this in my email.

Hope this helps

Reaper.

Reply to
Reaper2561

Your cone must have a gap. Use the EDGE if the gap for the "Fixed face or edge........works fine, just tried it.........

Reply to
dutch

Thanks

Reply to
Tweasl

Nice Cone tips and tricks. Can't wait to try a couple out and see which works best. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick or two.

Thanks guys, Tom

Reply to
brewertr

It may also work if you use a lofted bend feature from the Sheetmetal Tool Bar. Also, leave a small gap in the side of the cone so that it appears to be made from sheetmetal.

Bruce B.

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

yes, this is the part that bob z. has found to be very inconsistent - determining which edge for the "fixed". what works today, doesn't always work tomorrow. of course, bob z. has an exclusive relation with Murphy's Law.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

I don't believe your lineage to Murphy is exclusive...lol...I just had a Error yesterday "bend no longer in model" at 4:59pm. At 8:05 today it worked fine. Go figger.......

To Y'all that read this.....

is another fantastic resource for info on everything engineering and related. Highly recommended.

Dave

Reply to
dutch