Sheet Metal HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I'm trying to create a sheet metal and flat it from this geometry, but I'm not quite sure, how can I do that... There is anyone out there, can help me????

Thank you very much.

Here the part.

3DCADDWORKS

I'm trying to create a sheet metal and flat it from this geometry, but I'm not quite sure, how can I do that... There is anyone out there, can help me????

Thank you very much.

Here the part.

3DCADDWORKS

Cannot confirm nor deny that you can or can't do this in an existant or non-existant beta or other version of current or future software.

:o|

Alternative would be something like Blankworks.

3DCADDWORKS wrote:

matt

Sorry, it can't be done in current or older versions of SolidWorks. A flange on the edge of a curved face requires that the material be drawn, not just bent, and SW can't handle that. SW2007 is supposed to let you put a flange on a curved edge of a flat face, which also requires drawing, but I don't remember any claims to make something like your part. I haven't tried the Beta code, and if I had, like Matt, I couldn't tell you about it because of the non-disclosure agreement.

Jerry Steiger

Someday, when I am king of SW sheet metal development, stuff like this will be 2 mouse clicks from the design library, and a more complex transition will be just a little harder. SW does keep adding sheet metal features and generally is getting better with each release, so don't give up on it yet.

What I'd do for this is make the model fully formed for the assembly and drawing with extruded lofts or surfaces, and make a separate flat part for the development drawing view, or if it's just a rectangle, use a drawing note for the flat size. If you do a lot of these that are similar you could model one and use a general table to show the different sizes in your drawing.

Diego

Reply to
Diego

To do it cosmetically...You could use the Flex feature to bend it. Then suppress the Flex feature to get the flattened the pattern to work. Depending on how much you care a about the correct values on the flat pattern tho, you'd have to fudge those values on your own because the k-factor (or whatever method) here would be useless.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

Jerry, Calling this feature a channel beam, the following: As long as you now know that SWX Sheet Metal is unable to accomplish what you want, right now, why not simply extrude a cylinder, the width of the channel beam, and of the radius that you require. Using the wrap feature, depress the channel itself, in from the outermost edges, leaving the desired thicknesses of the outer walls, and the depth of the channel would determine the length of the walls, then trim everything else off, leaving a sheet metal appearing part. For the flat version, an extrusion to the length of the channel beam of the cross-section of it would be what you need. If you wanted to get real fancy, use a slight fillet at the bottom of the channel depression and a slight chamfer of the outside edge of the cut, to simulate the natural radius that you would get drawing sheet metal up 90 degrees. G. De Angelis

Reply to
info