sheet metal help

I need help on sheet metal bend allowances for example at work if I were to make a component with 2 bends I would take the outside sizes and deduct a bend allowance according to the gauge. e.g.

1.0mm CR4 ba = 1.8 per bend

Flange 1 30 o/s Flange 2 50 o/s Flange 3 200 o/s =280-2 bend allowances Flat length would need to be

276.4 but when I use solid works the sizes are different, how do I set up the bend allowances to match what we use at work?

thanks in advance

Jules

Reply to
Jules

try using bend deduction (excel table)

Reply to
kenneth b

Try this:

BA = (.55*T)+(1.57*R)*(A/90) .55 for copper,.64 for brass and alum,.71 for steel.

Where BA = bend allowance T = metal thickness R = inside bend radius A = angle of bend

Reply to
Kathy

Yes, look up bend tables. In a bend table you can insert all the bend settings that your company uses for each thickness of material and SW will automatically use these settings.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Jules!

This may or may not be useful to your particular application, but since bend allowance is so often brought up here (every few months) I have compiled a little information that explains some of the principles and which might address some of the future questions.

or

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Sean-Michael,

Excellent information & well presented - Thanks!

Is it OK if I present this at our user group meeting?

Merry :-)

Merry Owen

Hi Merry,

Absolutely! Thats's why it's there. There's a little "disclaimer" at then end and my only hope is that the data be used by someone to learn something (or whatever). I put the info out there with the idea that any "fair usage" is no problem.

If course, in the unlikely event that the info makes you rich, I would expect that you would by me a Lexus with leather interior. Failing that, use away.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Thanks Sean-Michael.

I would prefer an RX8 myself, but I guess I'll have to stick with the Kia for a bit longer!

Thanks again.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen