Problem creating sheet part from imported DXF profile

Hi

I am tasked with converting a bunch of laser cur profiles in DXF file format (includes the bend lines) to SW as bent sheetmetal parts.

I am importing these DXF files into a SW part and using the profiles to form the sketch that I extrude to the material thickness to create the "as flat" develeloped sheet part. As the bend lines are also imported, I essentially have all the information I need to know where each bend goes, and intend to use Sketched Bends to bend the part into the correct shape.

However, there is an issue that can arise that I am trying to resolve as efficiently as possible.

-> The bend lines obviously exist/are projected on the same plane as the plane on which original imported profile was imported on to. Once you create your first bend, you basically create a NEW plane on which the bent sheet (or flange) now exists (typically at 90deg to the original profile plane). Any further bend information that may apply to this flange remains on the original profile sketch on the original plane and can not be readily projected on to the newly created flange plane, as the bend lines remains behind on the original plane/skecth. Apart from manually adding your own sketch lines to this flange face at the right position (double handling :( ), is there a more efficient way/method to complete this task?

eg. is there an efficient way to perhaps use the existing bend line info in the original profile sketch to perhaps "etch"/"score" the bend lines on to the surface of the extruded profile (using something like Convert Entities) so that when the sheet part is bent, the location of the bend lines are effectively carried over with the bent flange, allowing you to then readily use something like Convert Entities to create the skecth for the Sketched Bend feature? I can kind of "score" a line on the part surface if I use the bend lines as skecthes for creating Split Lines, but if you do that, then any attempt to create a Skecthed Bend along the split line fails.

Are there any recommended ways/methods to deal with.get around this situation?

Reply to
Bullman

I think what you need to do is take advantage of one of the new features from 2007. If you place you first sketched bend in the part then unfold the part create a new sketch on the flange, convert entities from one of the reference bend lines, exit sketch, and then fold the part back up the sketch will follow the flange.

JP

Reply to
Jeff