Creating Bends in SolidWorks

Ok, I am creating a reverse engineering project for one of my engineering Graphics classes. My project is to recreate a model of toenail clippers in SolidWorks. I am struggling with how to bend the front of the clipper blade to recreate the concave appearance of the original object. I am building the model using the Sheet metal tools. I think I should be using the Sketch Bend feature, but I am unsure of how to orient the sketch to bend to the concave shape that I am looking for. I have asked my instructor, but he is unfamiliar with using any of the sheet metal techniques in SolidWorks and referred me to this Site. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
Cedar Student

I woudn't use the sheet metal tools at all. Build it as an assembley, using your extrude, and cut. If you're referring to the front cutting edge of the clippers, you would create a plane at the correct angle. Once you had this just cut down through the front edge of the part on that plane.

-Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Sheet metal features require that the fold lines be straight. As I understand it, you are trying to create the effect that a curved fold line would deliver. (Possibly complicated by the fact that you may want the bend angle to vary along the fold line)

You can however mix solid features with sheet metal features. Just do the sheetmetal stuff first, then add the desired solid features. In this case, "Revolve with thin feature" or "Loft with thin feature" should do the trick, and you can link the thickness to the sheetmetal part. Use revolve if the desired result is conical, loft if not.

The forming tool approach suggested in another post would work, and has some advantages, but it is more involved than just modelling what you want as an additional solid feature.

"Lofted bend", in isolation and performed first, allows generating the shape you want , but does not AFAIK support modelling the remainder of the clippers as sheetmetal.

Reply to
Andrew Troup

Dear Student,

The top piece of your clipper is going to change thickness - which is invalid for a sheet metal part. Your bend line won't be straight which is also invalid. Create an Extruded Base feature on both sides of the reference plane. Build the bend into the sketch profile.

Your instructor is wise to send you here. I have never seen a group so helpful to help others. Learn from your instructor and on your own. Come back later and help others. Check out and see if there is a local SW users group in your area. You can learn alot there too.

Regards, Marie

Reply to
mplanchard

Nice catch. Sounds like it would be easier to have his toenails grow with the bends already in them.

Reply to
rocheey