Living Hinge/Insert Bends

Hey All,

I've been tasked with unfolding a customers (plastic) part that has a living hinge. I have done this in the past by adding a sheet metal bend. It seems as though SWX will no longer work as it did before. When I add the bend, all of my previous features disappear. My techie from go engineer says it never worked the way I describe. Was I dreaming? No, I recall being wide awake! When did SWX stop allowing sheet metal bends to coexist with other non sheet metal features?

Thx,

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

It may have done it for you by accident? And so you don't feel like it's just you, years ago I saw it do something similar on a part I had modeled up but it should not have done what I saw, it was a bug. Or maybe your geometry (imported?) and the walls somehow allowed for this to happen? So, yeah, it would be nice to have it do that, otherwise some programs have a bend feature to do this.

There are a couple ways to do this but normally you model a plastic part with a hinge in the folded or closed state or have sketches which reference a closed state to help reference and model for the unfolded state and bridge or join the two halves together. With multibodies, or say, rotating the top lid into a open state, and combining the hinge, helps keeping everything in a single part file.

So, currently (no bend function), it's a multiple step process in building/referencing the open/closed states and for molding

..

Malcolm_Tempt@The_World.net wrote:

hinge. I have done this in the past by

did before. When I add the bend, all of my

the way I describe. Was I dreaming? No, I

coexist with other non sheet metal features?

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Damn, I should have known. Leave it to SWX to fix the ONE bug that was in my favor!

M.T. Oh, BTW Paul, I Did my hike to Baboon Lakes a while back. Although it's only around 3000 ft elevation gain and around

4-5 miles, it nearly killed me. We each had 45-50lb packs (all our w>It may have done it for you by accident?

hinge. I have done this in the past by

did before. When I add the bend, all of my

the way I describe. Was I dreaming? No, I

coexist with other non sheet metal features?

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Hey Malcom,

That sounds great!! I can imagine it was fantastic, you guys picked a good time to do it (minus the marathon)! No foot prints!! Sweet!! Thanks for sharing, I almost forgot.

I'll be hiking this tomorrow...

Have a good one!...

Malcolm_Tempt@The_World.net wrote:

around 3000 ft elevation gain and around

gear). I think it would have been much easier

that effort.

wilderness. We didn't see another sole in

living hinge. I have done this in the past by

did before. When I add the bend, all of my

worked the way I describe. Was I dreaming? No, I

coexist with other non sheet metal features?

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I haven't used sheetmetal in 2004, but in the old days, SWX DID "allow sheet metal bends to coexist with other non sheet metal features", provided the latter followed after the sheet metal portion of the history tree.

As I understand it, once you add items which are not of sheetmetal thickness, it is no longer possible to add bends, unless you roll back above that addition. Makes sense.

Is it possible this is why it worked once up on a time?

living hinge. I have done this in the past by

it did before. When I add the bend, all of my

worked the way I describe. Was I dreaming? No, I

coexist with other non sheet metal features?

Reply to
Andrew Troup

Hmm, so it was possible or it was allow until.. they figured that it should not work that way? Thinking back when I last saw that behavior.. was it SW2001?

..

Andrew Troup wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Sorry, I wasn't very clear

Subject to the restriction I stipulated, SolidWorks has allowed a mixture of sheetmetal and non-sheetmetal features right through v2003, and may well still do in 2004. Anybody tried it?

(When I said "Is it possible this is why it worked once up on a time?" I was asking Malcolm if it was possible that the model which worked for him met the restriction I describe)

Reply to
Andrew Troup

Yes, I just tried it and it doesn't work (a leaset not for me). Supressing the Flat-Pattern supresses all following features.

SW 2004 SP3

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Hi Andrew,

That's exactly how I remembered it worked back in the day. It no longer works that way now. When did this change?

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Andrew,

The part is modeled with various features up to the point where there is an extruded piece that will create a 90° bend. After I add the sheet metal bend all of the part disappears except the extruded piece with the bend. All of the previous features are present in the FMT and are not suppressed. They simply have disappeared. When I roll back before the bend feature the part appears normal.

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

I don' t know when it stopped or why, Malcolm; I'm still back in 2003 Sp3.1, and it works fine

works that way now.

Reply to
Andrew Troup

I tried this some years ago way back in the days of SWX 2001 I think, passed it to my VAR who said it should be OK if the wall thickness is constant - as per sheet metal.

But a living hinge is a thin flexible web of material that joins two rigid bodies together hence the sheet metal algorithms don't apply.

I don't know if things have changed since, they may have...... there's always 2005!

Kev

Reply to
Kev Parkin

I would think multibodies would be a good fit for this application:

Create your bottom Create your top (lid), being sure it can easily rotate about the desired hinge-point with a simple single dimension edit. Bridge the two bodies with some sort of sweep or loft.

Never tried it, but that is how I would approach it now.

Reply to
Arlin