Design Table Problem

I have a large assembly for which the geometry of individual parts is updated through design tables. I use one "master" excel table to calculate the overall geometry of the assembly and individual parts, and then run a VB program to open each part's design table in order to update/pass information from the master excel table. This works pretty well, except now I would like to make the parts generic so that one part can be used for different assemblies (which would be defined by different master tables).

Is there a way of creating some type of permanent global variables which can (1) be updated from excel, and then (2) read by a design table when it is opened? I had thought of using system variables for this, but not sure if that could be made to work. Maybe some sort of database server?

Reply to
David V.