Building a Tracked Robotics Base

With all this discussion about the Walmart tanks being used for robot development, I would like to build a tracked robotics base.
Does anyone have any link or websites that discuss construction of this type of base? In particular, I would be interested in seeing how the treads are built and materials used considering the severe and abrasive environment they operate in.
Thanks in advance.
TMT
Hi TMT,

If you actually want to tackle making your own treads (something I wish I had the time to try), you must check out:
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/mar97/mold_art/molds.htm
Failing that, hit the toy stores big time. There's always toy tanks, snowmobiles etc that have soft rubber treads that typically fit the bill unless you're building something large.
HTH Steve
Thanks for responding....
I was thinking about building all the parts.
I was considering a larger platform.
The rubber treads one sees on snowblowers would be an interesting store brought substitute....has anyone used them?
The tanks I saw in Walmart looked to be too fragile for any significant usage.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Some pool-cleaning devices have rubber tracks, and are more substantial. They must be available second hand or on throw- out days (where I got a pair I still haven't used).
Otherwise there's the common fallback of a toothed timing belt from a car - inside out if you want teeth. Available for free from places that replace them.
Clifford Heath wrote:

Sorry, I meant they must be available as replacement parts. Don't know what I was thinking.
I have a tracked base that will easily carry 200 pounds. I had it designed and made for me and uses (I believe) snowblower treads. The treads are (or were) available on Ebay from time to time. If you are interested I could see if I can find more data. The base is laying in my garage - too busy do do much robot building right now. - but is very impressive.
Mark

Also, check out the new Johnny Robot treads availible at places like Budget Robotics, Pololu, Solarbotics, 1sorc and others. They're not big like a snowblower, but definately better built than say the Tamiya ones or the Walmart tank ones. Worth checking into. -Dan
The ones that show up on ebay from time to time prolly from the old "Sno-Trac" machine.
These people used to sell them but they seem to be permanently out of stock.
http://www.robotcombat.com/store_tanktreads.html
Various other links that might be of some value.
http://www.pololu.com/products/misc/0415 /
http://www.bobcat.com/products/mtl/index.html
http://www.toro.com/professional/sws/loader/400/index.html
DOC