NEC

When the word "shall" appears in the NEC, what does it mean?

Reply to
rywells

Something you must do

Reply to
gfretwell

| On 30 Apr 2007 07:55:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | |>When the word "shall" appears in the NEC, what does it mean? | | Something you must do

I don't know the specific semantics of the NEC because I cannot recall the definitions therein. But I do know lots of other standards given different meanings to "shall" and "must". The impression I get is that "shall" is slightly more loose than "must", but definitely more strict than "should".

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

I can't find a specific definition in the NEC, but in IEEE and several ANSI standards, they specifically define the words 'may', 'should' and 'shall'.

Shall. Indicates the requirement must be met in order to be considered in compliance with the standard. (i.e. if you don't meet this requirement, you are *not* in compliance)

Should. The requirement is not required but is strongly encouraged. Not meeting the requirement usually requires an explicit explanation as to why not. (i.e. you don't have to do it, but you better be prepared to explain your reasoning as to why you didn't)

May. A recommended or common practice that is entirely optional.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Try section 90.5 (A) (2005 NEC):. "Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identity actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not."

E. Tappert

Reply to
Eric Tappert