NEC

When the word "shall" appears in the NEC, what does it mean?

On 30 Apr 2007 07:55:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Something you must do
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:39:22 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
| On 30 Apr 2007 07:55:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: | |>When the word "shall" appears in the NEC, what does it mean? | | Something you must do
I don't know the specific semantics of the NEC because I cannot recall the definitions therein. But I do know lots of other standards given different meanings to "shall" and "must". The impression I get is that "shall" is slightly more loose than "must", but definitely more strict than "should".

I can't find a specific definition in the NEC, but in IEEE and several ANSI standards, they specifically define the words 'may', 'should' and 'shall'.
Shall. Indicates the requirement must be met in order to be considered in compliance with the standard. (i.e. if you don't meet this requirement, you are *not* in compliance)
Should. The requirement is not required but is strongly encouraged. Not meeting the requirement usually requires an explicit explanation as to why not. (i.e. you don't have to do it, but you better be prepared to explain your reasoning as to why you didn't)
May. A recommended or common practice that is entirely optional.
daestrom
On Wed, 2 May 2007 17:30:01 -0400, "daestrom"

Try section 90.5 (A) (2005 NEC):. "Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identity actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not."
E. Tappert