Notation

Hi all,

I was reading an electrical power riser diagram and saw this notation referencing cables and conduit: 4#2/0 2 1/2"C , 4#3/0 and 8#4/0 among others. Could anyone interpret this notation for me please? (I am not an electrical PE)

The first example looks like 4 #2 AWG conductors in a 2 1/2" diameter conduit, please correct me.

Thanks much.

tde

Reply to
tde

Not #2, but #2/0 or #00 - *big* wires. I don't have my tables handy and I don't know what insulation is on the wires, so I won't comment on the conduit fill..all those wires in one 2 1/2 inch conduit might be a bit much. ( For the benefit of the rest of the world 2/0 AWG is about 67 square millimetres)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

It means 4 wires, size #2/0 (00, which is not the same as #2AWG), in 2-1/2" trade size conduit. Likewise for your other examples. Those are #3/0 (000) and #4/0 (0000) sizes.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

BM,

Thanks for the clarity. I now know that 3/0 means 000 and 4/0 means 0000 etc.

Thanks again,

tde

Reply to
tde