Open Neutral indication on switched split wired receptacle circuits

In a residence I recently inspected I used a circuit tester designed to verify both GFCI and AFCI circuits. For the circuits that had switched split wired receptacles, when the circuit is energized, the tester indicated wiring was correct and on the AFCI protected circuits, the circuit breaker trips at the panel when the "fault" is initiated by the tester. However, when the switch controlling half of multiple receptacles on the circuit is switched OFF, the tester indicates an open neutral. Using a digital multi-meter, I measured approximately

45-50 volts between hot and neutral AND hot and ground. If I plug in another tester in a downstream receptacle, the voltage collapses. Possible causes we've considered are inductive or capacitive coupling between the energized half of the circuit and the "dead" side. Another thought is the switch itself is faulty allow some current leakage. I have verified that the wiring is correct and the neutral is NOT being switched. Any experience with this phenomenon.
Reply to
leroy47

*NEVER* trust a digital meter for branch circuit voltage measurements, unless the circuit is loaded.

If I plug in

Exactly. A typical digital meter has an 11 megohm impedance, which is insufficient to load the circuit properly. Therefore, it will deceive you by displaying a "phantom" voltage. The voltage is real enough, but the source, which is the coupling you mentioned, cannot provide any current to speak of. At 11 megohms meter impedance and a 50 volt reading, the current is only .000005 amps. You need 1000 times that, just to trip a GFCI, so that "phantom" voltage can't do any real work on a branch circuit.

Ed

Another

Reply to
ehsjr

Sounds good. But why am I getting the open neutral indication on the tester?

Reply to
leroy47

Don't know. Contact the manufacturer and ask them ? Perhaps if you post the make and model of the tester someone will know.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I "looked at" an AFCI at Home Depot last Saturday. it seems to have a White "pigtail" just like a GFCI.

Wall mount GFCI definitely open the neutral. Does the panel version of either (GFCI or AFCI) do this?

EMWTK

Reply to
John Gilmer

I don't believe that they do, at least not the ones I have disassembled. There is no need, as they can not be miswired with L-N reversed, as a receptacle can.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Model number is

Ideal Sure Test Arc Tester, Model #61-058

Reply to
leroy47