Overloading?

I'm something of an electrical neophyte, so I'll be as brief as I can.

I've got a coffee maker pullged into a standard outlet, whose power consumption is rated at 120V/60Hz. I'm planning on getting a mini-frdge rated at 115V/60Hz, but I can only plug it into the same outlet (they don't recommend using an extension cord in any event).

The coffee maker lies idle most of the day, working only about 10 minutes or so in the morning (it's a thermal carafe and automatically shuts off after that). Would I have to unplug the mini-fridge when using it?

Any info would be appreciated!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

| I'm something of an electrical neophyte, so I'll be as brief as I can. | | I've got a coffee maker pullged into a standard outlet, whose power | consumption is rated at 120V/60Hz. I'm planning on getting a mini-frdge | rated at 115V/60Hz, but I can only plug it into the same outlet (they don't | recommend using an extension cord in any event). | | The coffee maker lies idle most of the day, working only about 10 minutes or | so in the morning (it's a thermal carafe and automatically shuts off after | that). Would I have to unplug the mini-fridge when using it? | | Any info would be appreciated!

Add up the current used by each. If it does not except 12 amps for a 15 amp circuit, or 16 amps for a 20 amp circuit, don't worry. If it's from

12-15 amps on the 15 amp circuit, or 16-20 amps on the 20 amp circuit, it might not be what the code intends, but if both running at the same time is very rare, it's probably OK.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Sorry the 120V/60 hz is NOT the consuption. That is the operating voltage.

Coffe pots start out at about 4 amps and can go up to 30. Assuming you bought the coffe maker at Kmart or the like I would GUESS 5 amps. The refergerator should be some where from 5-10 amps. So if there is not other loads on the circuit that feeds this outlet you will probably be ok. If the breaker trips then you need to consider moving or reducing the load on the circuit.

Reply to
SQLit

I'd buy one of those outlet strips with the reset breaker button on it and plug both items into it and leave the second plug on the recept. for a mini TV, wait a minute you're not talking about a SRO are you ? }:-) =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Most (nearly all) coffee makers also keep the coffee warm which means that they turn themselves back on for a few seconds every now and then during the day.

If the combined load is only a slight overload then the few seconds of "re-warm" MIGHT not trip the breaker or blow the fuse (depending upon how old your house wiring is.) You would be subject to the laws of chance since the ice box and the coffee maker are "automatic" and can place a load on any time.

Basically, just plug everything in and see if a breaker trips. Unplugging a frig while making coffee may result in lost food if your "forget" to plug it back in.

IF a breaker trips you should check nearby outlets to see what all is on that circuit (those are the ones that will not work until you reset the breaker.) Then run either the coffeemaker or the ice box from another circuit.

If you use a "heavy duty" extension cord you will be OK. Don't do anything silly like running the cord over or under the sink or placing it where you walk over it.

Reply to
John Gilmer

On 07 Jun 2005, "Mike" postulated in news:Jtnpe.44657$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net:

Mike,

Your refrig compressor motor runs approximately half the time (depending on your thermostat setting). The motors on modern refriges are efficient induction motors that consume around 2 amps when running. However, they can consume, momentarily, 3-5 times that amount of power on startup.

Most refrig's these days are self-defrosting and it is the high- resistance defroster heater that draws the most current in a refrigerator, typically 400-800 Watts (appx. 3-6 amps). Fortunately, the defroster runs for only 20 minutes or so, and probably just 2 or

3 times a day, depending on your refrig and your environs. Sometimes you can hear your freezer hiss--that's the defroster melting accumulated ice on the cooling fins.

Even the refrig light draws an amp of power (which, of course, is NOT on when the door is closed. Tell your children--they wonder about these things.)

I'm not familiar with the consumption numbers for ice makers, but I would imagine those that crush ice could draw a few amps of power while running.

Even so, a coffee maker and refrig on the same 15 amp circuit seems reasonable, even with everything on the frige firing at once.

If not, it is quite simple to replace a 15 amp breaker with one of higher rating, say 20 amps. If you do not feel comfortable doing so, call a licensed electrician (or a brother-in-law).

-- ipgrunt

Reply to
IPGrunt

It will probably work. A definitive answer requires looking at the specifics, which we don't have.

Do not replace the breaker with a higher amperage breaker, without first verifying that the circuit is wired for the higher amperage. That scenario is most unlikely.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr