Partially Exposed Ground Wire

I just had to install a set of new exterior lighting fixtures to the front of my garage after one blew off and broke during the hurricane.

The installation seemed simple enough....except it appears that the copper ground wire for one of the fixtures could potentially be exposed to rain/moisture because I was not able to get the fixture flush up against the wall as well as I'd like to properly cover it. Kind of hard to explain, but if you look to the lower left or under the fixture plate cover, you can see the wire. It's not like its sticking directly out from under the plate. However, the hot & neutral wires seem to be protected just fine.

Technically speaking, should I be concerned about this and try to reinstall the fixture for a better mount? More to the point...is this not a safe situation (can it cause a short or burn my house down)? If it's safe I'd just assume leave it because it's not noticeable until you come within inches of the fixture and actually inspect the installation.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
..::Daemon::..

Hello

Nothing to worry about. If your still concerned , try putting some clear silicone caulking around the base of your fixture. Or choose a color to match your siding. There is no danger of it causing a problem. ron

Reply to
Ronald Murray

Great!! Thank you for the reassurance, Ron.

Reply to
..::Daemon::..

Line voltage should be buried at least 12 inches or in conduit. Low voltage does not matter.

Reply to
SQLit

If he "buried" the wire to the fixture on the front wall of his garage 12" deep wouldn't that place the wire well within the useable space inside the garage? ;-]

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

I would like to see u in a rubber suit, young man.

Ted Rubberford.

Reply to
Ted Rubberford