Pat test failure

Hi my occasional duties include PAT testing equipment.....for the last 4 months have found 2 makes of kettle failing test due to case earthing not
being present.....asked another eng to check the last kettle i found with this problem......he promptly plugged it in to PAT tester and informed me it was fine.....asked him what about the earth continuity test with the wander lead which he then did and confirmed that there was no earth to case...the supplier was informed and said they were aware that there are faulty kettle's being sent out.....
These are all metal cased kettles the elements are earthed but the cases are not.to my mind dangerous but doesn't seem to bother others ....what do you reckon....am sure there must be maybe 100's if not 1000's that are not PAT tested.

The metalwork might be an extraneous conductive part, which is double insulated and doesn't require earthing. Can't tell without seeing the kettle. I have a Siemens kettle which is built this way.
--
Andrew Gabriel

That might be possible in which case they should be marked as being class 2. However the OP said:

If that is the case then he should inform trading standards and let them sort it out.
Not double insulated ....when i checked with the manufacturer they agreed the case should be earthed.
writes:

The Siemens kettle itself isn't double insulated (I don't believe a metal cased mineral insulated element ever could be classed as such in Europe), just the outer metalwork which is an extraneous conductive part, which is a decorative sleve on a plastic kettle.

Agreed, although I wouldn't credit most suppliers with having any clue whatsoever.
--
Andrew Gabriel