Portable/adjustable GFCI/AFCI availability?

My experience, and what I hear from others, GFCI's are not very useful for submersible pumps in hydroponic greenhouses. There are just too many nuisance trips. I think that it is difficult to have the pump motors truly impervious to water intrusion. On the other hand, being in the salt water environment from the nutrient solution. The usual solution is to make sure that the pumps are well grounded. Nevertheless, I sure would like the security of GFCI protection.

I have been able to get in-line GFCI extension cords. Are similar devices available with adjustable trip current settings?

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

The word "greenhouse" does not appear in the 2005 NEC. I just did a search using acrobat pro. This is a building that needs addressed. This summer I watched a worker using an extension cord and vacuum cleaner on a very wet floor in a greenhouse. The cord was damaged and the receptacle was not GFCI protected. I informed the worker of the hazard, the worker informed his supervisor and the worker was promply laid off three days later. I plan to submit a change for the 2011 NEC to address this issue.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Great! That certainly is something that should be addressed.

When my roof was being installed and the gutter installers wanted power, I noticed that the their extension's grounding plug had be clipped off. It also was a drizzly day. my conscience would bother me if I did not try to do something about that. I wrote a snail mail letter to the appropriate VP and never heard from him.

For the greenhouse the pump's electrical leakage is small enough so that ground protection is good enough. The appropriate circumstances and a wet floor, however could be a big deal.

I did notice that my trips usually, if nor always, happened when the pumps were turned off. My guess is that it comes from an inductive kick. I may try connecting a capacitor across the line.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Idiot. I am quite sure that there are no metal cased vacuum cleaners in use in the current, modern world.

Reply to
TheKraken

There were plenty grounded metal objects in this greenhouse including the frame of the building. The vacuum cleaner was not the problem as much as the possibility of the water becoming energized at 120 volts from the damaged cord. Then anyone standing in the water that touched anything grounded could be electrocuted.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Don't pay attention to this guy. He is just practicing to be an Iraqui inurgent.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

My good old Kirby is all metel save for a plastic handle. I expect it to live at least as long as I do.

Reply to
Tim Perry

Their website still has the consumables for their aluminum models.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell