potenial w.r.t. earth

So if the potential of a particular end of a coil (placed in changing flux) with respect to earth cannot be determined by any formula. Then will it be true to say that in case of a three phase generator with coils of three phases connected in star (the star point not being connected to earth), the potential of star point of coils with respect to earth cannot be determined by any fromula. i.e if we connect a voltmeter in between the star point of generator and the earth then what it will read some value depending on the condition of the site(ground capacitance, overhead cloud) but the value can not be determined by any formula. Is it true?

If the phase voltage of the coils are 230 v and star point (which is not connected to earth) of coil has some potential say 100 V w.r.t earth. Now if we connect the star point to earth what will be the scenario?i.e what will be the value of potential of star point w..r.t earth ,value of phase voltages. If the potential of star point w.r.t. earth now becomes zero then where does 100 V go? (w.r.t.= with respect to) I am looking forward for your useful suggestions. Thanks for your time

Reply to
sanjay664lal

Well, if there are stray capacitances, or leakage through insulation to 'earth', then the potential can in fact be calculated. The formula might be pretty messy, with parameters that are difficult to characterize. But from a theoretical point of view, that potential can be calculated.

It goes away. Or more accurately, the formula describing that potential changes to include the low impedance path just provided between the star point and earth.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.