Power Adaptor Replacement...Will This Work?

please excuse my ignorance...

my keyboard (Korg X50) just died, and i determined that the power supply is fried. i ordered another one, but it's going to take a few weeks to arrive, and i need to use this keyboard daily.

so i purchased a temporary power supply from radio shack, which seems to have the same specs...but i don't know much about this stuff, and i don't want to damage my new keyboard. i haven't plugged it in yet because i'm looking for some educated confirmation...will this radio shack adaptor work for a few weeks?:

radio shack adaptor:

original adaptor:
any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jonathandowns

The Radio Shack power supply should work just fine. You have to make sure that the output plug is connected so that the center pin is polarized (+) positive. If you look on the Korg power supply, you will see that the center pin is (+) positive part of the connector. The salesman at the RS store should be able to show you how to properly orient the plug halves to get the correct polarity.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Roy QT, i thought i just had to match the output specs? you're comparing the input specs of the Korg (.4mA) to the output specs of Radio Shack (1500mA). i see the output specs of both adaptors is

1500mA...am i incorrect?

Uncle Monster...thank you for your input. the tip can be tip/hot or tip/cold, and i'll be sure that it's set up to be tip/positive. so your opinion is it should work fine?

i'm just a bit confused because i've gotten two conflicting replies...

(thanks!)

Reply to
jonathandowns

Uncle Monster is correct. Either supply will work fine, as long as the plug polarity is proper. Ignore Roy's response.

Reply to
Ben Miller

No problem, your original power supply looks like what's called a switching power supply which is very light in weight compared to the RS unit which I assume is much heavier. The reason for the weight, if that's the case, is that the RS power supply is a shunt regulator which has a heavy transformer. Both supplies will put out nice clean DC power, they just go about it in a different way. Like I implied, the instructions with the RS power supply should show you how to orient the two little pins on the DC plug to get the correct polarity. I have several of the Radio Shack power supplies and they work well.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Def; Superior experience in your field of work: You've burned up more equipment than anyone else.

Reply to
Uncle Monster

thanks guys. i used it tonight, and everything was fine. phew...

Reply to
jonathandowns