problem with old power window motor

I have a '59 Plymouth with power windows. The rear window
weatherstripping was shot; leaks caused the motor to rust up and
seize. I was able to disassemble, free the bushing from the armature
shaft (which was responsible for the seize), and rewire the leads. I
also used some emory on the commutator, and cleared any crossover
between the segments. The brushes are in excellent condition.
I oiled and reassembled. The armature turns freely.
However, when I apply power (forward or reverse -- it spins in either
direction), it turns a fraction of a revolution, and locks up. I
remove power -- turn the shaft slightly -- and reapply power. Same
thing: A fraction of a turn.
Do I have a bad armature? Suggestions?
adTHANKSvance,
Dan
Reply to
morton
Is the brush rigging mounted on an end bracket? If so, perhaps you re-assembled the motor with the brushes in the wrong position; i.e., ninety degrees from where they belong.
Roby
Reply to
Roby
Roby, the brush rigging is indeed mounted on an end bracket! This could very well be it... I'll get to it this weekend, and report back.
Thanks! Dan
Reply to
morton
Another possibility is there is corrosion on the iron armature and /or the stator leaving an insufficient gap, therefore rubbing.
Reply to
Dave M.
And in fact, that's what it was. It turns out that the 4 retainers for the brush plate form a rectangle, not a square as I thought; there was no possibility of me mounting it 90 degrees advanced or retarded.
But, there was play in the shaft, which centered the armature in the field magnets when energized, lifting it enough out of the rear bushing to where it rubbed on the stator. I placed some washers on the one end to remove the play, reassembled, and it's running! Both forward and reverse...
Thanks, gents, for your most excellent replies.
Dan
Reply to
morton
Good job, Dan!
You really ought to look at the newer cars, though. The dashboard clocks are a lot more reliable and they don't use tubes (or valves) in the radio anymore.
Roby
Reply to
Roby
Yes, but you can't these newer cars up to 90 mph in between gas stations! 8^)
Dan
Reply to
morton