Punch down tools for 66 and 110 blocks

Hi all:

I am doing a cat 5 network installation using a Leviton 110 block as a central distribution to a star network. I have seen the Ideal and Harris punch down tools but have not had a chance to use them. What is the experience of the group regarding these or other name brand tools and where would be a good internet site to purchase it.

TIA.

Regards,

Ray R

Reply to
ramray

I've tried a few punchdown tools and find the Krone one with integral clipper the best. However, I'm not familiar with Leviton blocks, so I can't guarantee it works well with that. In my experience in the UK, our blocks are all Krone or something extremely compatible with Krone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Krone isn't widely used in the US, and the Krone punch-down tool won't work on 110 blocks. I use a Harris D814 tool with and Ever-Sharp dual

100/66 blade, but be prepared to spend upwards of US$100 for the combination. The Harris punchdown tools come standard either without a blade or with a 66 blade only, probably because the sell millions of them to the Telcos, which still use 66 extensively. You may want to look at the Paladin SurePunch tool, which comes with a dual 110/66 blade for < US$60. Both tools accept a wide variety of blades, including BIX and Krone.

Al

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
Alan Stiver, PE

Thanks very much for your replies. I went ahead and bought the Harris D-814 from Jensen. It comes in a kit with a plastic case and the cutter bits for several types of blocks. Expensive but it will keep all the little pieces in one place where I can find them when I need them. Thanks again

never before heard of Krone. I guess they are either not available in the US or not very widely used here. The D814 has a tool for that type block.

Reply to
ramray

Pricy but if you don't lose it you will pass it down to your kids. It never hurts to buy the best

Reply to
Greg

I tend to like Harris's D914. They work great and they're easy on the hands.

?parent_id=54160 Of course there are other places you can buy them.

Reply to
Pete J. Ahacich