Patching into service

I have seen construction workers patching into service panels with jumper cable type devices for temporary power. Can this be done safely?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

"Ken" wrote in news:xtnLc.743$8_6.367@attbi_s04:

In my opinion, yes, as long as you feed in ahead of the breakers. Not that it really matters all that much, since the temporary power pole service is overload protected also, and is required to be GFCI. When working on new construction, I have done this also. A cord is made with a female receptical and attached through one of the breakers. You will only be able to power one side of the panel bus. All breakers except the one or two circuits being used at the time remain off. The only receptical on each circuit actually terminated will be the first receptical on the run. The reason they do this is to reduce the usage and length of extention cords running throughout the house. Extention cords are a serious trip hazard in a construction area. In the winter time, this allows you to power an overhead light during morning and evening times. Just make sure the female receptical, cord from the temporary power pole to the panel, and the wiring from the plug to the panel all exceed maximum current capacity for the circuit (usually 20A). You want the breaker to trip, not the cord :)

Reply to
Anthony

Sure suicide cords are used all of the time. I have 2 both have an fuse holder in them. The fuse gives me a bit of protection if there is a problem. They need to be used by people that understand the ramifications of what they are doing. I would not recommend them to any one.

Reply to
SQLit