Re: DC over voltage protection

you can add 3 diodes in series with the + line

>to the radio. The diodes must have a current rating greater >than the maximum current the VHF radio will draw

Can I buy something like this already set up?

Reply to
CCred68046

If your radio's output power is between 10 to 50 watts, you might be better off with a true DC to DC converter. Astrodyne's model SVB12SC12 can use 9.2 to 16VDC input & produces solid 12VDC (upto 3.3 amps continuous). It is $115.00 each (to order, go to:

but it should work better than other zener diode solutions (zener diodes that can handle 3.3 amps & drop 4 volts, will need a huge heatsink, anyway).

Reply to
Nam Paik

Normaly radios are rated 13.4 volts and chargeing system should produce this. You would need to regulate the whole charging system. One way with std battery chargers is a 2n3055 transistor and 36 watt bulb across output to use up extra with a opamp to drive transistor and a voltage reg driving opamp this is OK to protect battery but does not remove ripple so for a radio may not be good enough and you may get hum on transmit. Some radios will take more than others i.e. a Yaseu FT290R will take 9 to 16 volt but a Icom 290 will need 13 to 13.8 volts but 2 meter sets. So you need to read radio spec. If your getting the charging voltage from mains then use a CB power supply they are regulated and cheap.

All best Eric

Reply to
Eric Palmer