Re: Engineering Mathematics books

Greetings.

Obviously, I have not checked every math book in existence. Disclaimer aside, I believe that Stroud's "Engineering Mathematics" (which I own) is the best text book of its kind, and I have high hopes for "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" (which I intend to buy).

If you're having trouble with Mr. Stroud's gentle, thorough tutelage, then you have trouble indeed!

The trick is finding a math course that actually uses either book. Being an American, that was difficult (Stroud was from the UK), but it's a problem I've managed to overcome for the moment.

While not an engineering book, no discussion of math books can be complete without mentioning Silvanus P. Thompson's "Calculus made easy". If for no other reason, it's worth having for its inscription: "What one fool can do, another can."

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

>I currently have Stroud & Booth's "Engineering Mathematics" and "Advanced >Engineering Mathematics" books. > >There is another book called "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" written by >Kreyszig. Is this any better then the books mentioned above? It has a hefty >price tag of $140. > >Also, is there any book that can compete with Art of Electronics as a >general reference? > >Book recommendations welcome! Thanks.
Reply to
Richard Kanarek

That work was/is one of the bible engineering texts. I am looking at my bookshelf copy (second edition) as I write this. Got it during my undergrad days and I'm glad I retained it. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood

Stroud's books are fine, but I was curious if the other had any worthwhile tidbits of info that Stroud's didn't have. It's like my math books. I must have 30 of them, and they all cover at least one topic that another doesn't. What I really need is that fat book Mathematica. I'm a reference hog.

Reply to
Skyy

Sounds good to me! Thanks.

Reply to
Skyy

The trouble with Stroud is that he presents plain facts but without explanation - not so good for the student.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Interesting. It must have been a popular text. The University of Alaska (USA) used it in the 70s. Mine is third edition.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Bolton

Skyy:

Erwin Kreysig, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics", Wiley and Sons, New York, NY 1962

and...

I. S. Sokolnikoff and R. M. Redheffer, "Mathematics of Physics and Modern Engineering", McGraw-Hill, New York, NY 1958.

Have both sat side-by-side on my bookshelf for decades and, as an Engineering professional these two have supplied most all of the mathematics I have ever required.

-- Peter Professional Consultant - Signal Processing and Analog Electronics Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL.

Reply to
Peter O. Brackett

Greetings.

Perhaps it's because I've only read a very few "programmes" (chapters) of Stroud's "Engineering Mathematics", but I'm inclined to disagree with your opinion of the book.

If you meant to say that Stroud didn't provide proper proofs for every theorem in the book -- a thick tomb which covers virtually all the math from elementary school to freshman/sophmore college -- then you're right. Indeed, I've suspected that the book would make a poor choice for a math major, although I'm hardly qualified to advise would-be math majors. Alternately, it does Stroud an injustice, IMHO, to imply that he expects his readers to merely take his word for his work.

The spiffy thing about "Engineering Mathematics" is the wonderfully short leash it keeps its readers on. It presents a bit of math, it explains the bit of math, it then takes the reader through the bit of math, calculating each step with the reader, step by step, until the bit of math is done.

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

Reply to
Richard Kanarek