Replacing a Pushmatic Breaker

My sister-in-law has an old "Pushmatic" breaker panel in her house, and the

2-pole 30A breaker (P230) that her clothes dryer is on has started tripping randomly. From what I've read this is a fairly common problem with Pushmatic breakers. The dryer is fairly new and the wiring appears to be in good shape.

Anyway, despite the high cost of the replacement breakers, it's still a faster and cheaper option than replacing the panel.

Other than pulling the panel cover, I haven't done any work on that panel yet. There is a metal "bar" than runs over the top of all the breakers (under the push buttons). When I looked at it last night, I did not see any obvious method of attachment, but it clearly needs to come out to remove the breaker.

So, can anyone with Pushmatic breaker experience tell me how that bar over the breaker is attached and removed?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

The Pushmatic breakers are held in by a screw that goes into the feeder bus. The side of the breaker has two tabs that lock into the center bar.

If you remove the two screws that hold the bar that ties the breakers together and then loosen the screws that attach the breakers to the bus, they lift right out. Turn off the main breaker first.

Reply to
Paul A

Give it a good wrench boy.

Teddy Rubbberford ============== From Rubberfords Latex Cavern.