Dryer wiring at the FUSE panel - correct way?

How should the FUSE panel be wired for a clothes dryer?

Clothes dryers use 110v (for timer, buzzer, etc.) and 240v (heating element). So it has two hots (red and black) running to the dryer plug.

But at the FUSE panel, should it be two separate 20-amp fuses, or two separate 30-amp fuses? Or should the dryer have a special double-fuse such as a cartridge type fuse that is 30-amp?

I realize if this were a breaker panel it would just be a double 30 - but how about with a FUSE panel?

I would have run two separate 20-amp fuses, but I was informed this is incorrect and it should be 2x 30-amp fuses, and that it would be in series.

Can it be wired to 2x fuses, or must it be to a single cartridge type fuse?

Thanks,

Terry

Reply to
Terry

The fuse rating depends on the dryer's current draw and (important!) the wire size to the outlet. Most dryers need 240V at 30A so you will need a 30A circuit, which of course uses 30A fuses. MAKE SURE the wiring used to the dryer outlet is #10 or heavier! Don't use 30A fuses if it's #12 or smaller.

If available, use one of those catridges with two fuses (30A) in them. If not available you can probably use two circuit positions with 2 30A screw in fuses. The two fuses have to go to two different hots. Nearly always two fuses next to each other will do this.

Lastly, if you don't know what you are doing, get an electrician. Don't burn your house down because you only know enough to be dangerous.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

You should use 30 amp fuses and opposite phases in the panel, and at least

10# copper wire. Larger if the dryer is over 50 feet away from the panel measured by wire run. Since you have fuse protection I would consider installing a simple 30 amp circuit breaker in a enclosure at the dryer. Then you would be assured that if something happens it will trip the breaker. Other wise you could blow one fuse and have the dryer tumbling and no heat. Your significant other comes out and is mad as hell because the clothes are still wet. I had a energy management system that would dump the heater when the load on the home rose beyond a set point. The misses and I had lots of arguments about this.

Just my view from the cheap seats

Reply to
albown