Wiring 3 way switch

I want to rewire the overhead light in my living room for 3 way / maybe 4 way operation. First of all I know how to do it. What I want to do is use 2 pieces of 14-2 instead of 1 piece 14-3. I have a lot of 14 2. Is this OK.

Reply to
Jimmie

Spend the lousy five bucks and do it right.

Reply to
Greg
040916 1404 - Jimmie posted:

Sure...

Reply to
indago

NO.

A cable must be electrically balanced. In other words, if you put an ammeter around any cable, it should read zero.

RE

Reply to
Ryan Evans

Why?

Reply to
JR

research magnetic heating or loss

Reply to
PCK

I posted a similar message a few months ago for pretty much the same reason.

A bunch of people told me it was illegal, but no one cited a specific code section.

My belief is that the two cables must be run together, with the same staples, through the same holes, etc. As long as you do that I can't see why it would matter that the conductors are not all under the same jacket. The only code I could find was that all conductors must be together in the same raceway when metal is encountered, but that does not seem to be a problem.

Now... an house inspector might take exception to it when you go to sell the house, but unless he can cite a specific code violation...

Reply to
John

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:10:50 GMT, John put forth the notion that...

I've never heard of it being illegal. Way back when I used to wire houses, I'd often run my travelers with 12-2 Romex, then run my neutral, hot and/or switch leg in a separate cable, and never had an inspector bitch about it.

Reply to
Checkmate

Checked with building inspector and he gave it his blessing. Wiring is done . Now I have a switch at the new entrance to great room and switches at the bedroom doors off the great room. This was pretty much a PITA because the great room has a cathedral ceiling and you can run wiring over the top. Everything had to be run around the room.

Reply to
Jimmie