Fuse

I blew a fuse on my UPS. The fuse holder says the fuse is a T 5.0A fuse. Wal-Mart didn't have any that were the same length as the one I had. We couldn't even tell by the markings that Wal-Mart had on the fuses to be able to tell what ratings they were.

I went to Radio Shack and they didn't have one but I did notice that they cost almost 3 times as much as they did at Wal-Mart.

From the fuses I looked at Radio Shack it looks like the clear glass tube fuses only have two types. All the fuses that are slow blow are the same length but longer than the instant trip kind which are all the same size but shorter.

Other than that you can put a 1 amp fuse or a 5 amp fuse in the same holder. Right?

Reply to
Kilowatt

There are AGC (larger) and GMA (smaller) types. There are slow blo and regular versions. That determines how fast or how much overcurrent that fuse will withstand without blowing. Then there are low voltage (32 volt) and 250 volt versions. First learn the voltage and type (regular or slo blow) to obtain correct fuse of same physical size. Chances are the fuse must be a 250 volt type. If in doubt, get the

250 volt type. If fuse not available, then a temporary fuse of less amperes is quite acceptable. Chances are your UPS has > I blew a fuse on my UPS. The fuse holder says the fuse is a T
Reply to
w_tom

My UPS fuse blew when I plugged in another computer that had a bad power supply.

I am pretty sure I can select the right fuse when I find one.

One thing I wanted to mention again is that the fuses at Radio Shack where

3X as expensive as Wal-Mart but neither place had the fuse.

Are the 32V fuses fit in a 250V fuse holder? I bet those are the knife type.

Reply to
Kilowatt

Go to the parts drawers. Parts there sell for typically 5 and ten times. These are full retail prices. Walmart discounts.

Other well stocked sources for that fuse are Home Depot and Lowes.

Kilowatt wrote:

Reply to
w_tom

You may need to go to a real electronics place or an electrical supply company. There are at least a dozen different types of fuse that is roughly the same size (nominally .25"dia 1.25 long). What is the type on the blown one? It should have the amps, volts and a 3 letter/number type ID. (3AB, ABC, AGC, MDL etc)

Reply to
Greg

Did you ever think of contacting the original manufacture of your product?

I went to Radio Shack and they didn't have one but I did notice that they cost almost 3 times as much as they did at Wal-Mart.

From the fuses I looked at Radio Shack it looks like the clear glass tube fuses only have two types. All the fuses that are slow blow are the same length but longer than the instant trip kind which are all the same size but shorter.

Other than that you can put a 1 amp fuse or a 5 amp fuse in the same holder. Right?

-- snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line.

Reply to
Brian

Of course. I would like to try to find it locally first though. Thanks I know it is a UPS but it is not a very important UPS. :)

Reply to
Kilowatt