Video RF Transmission

I am interested in transmitting video through a chip, but am not sure which chip to use and am new to RF (still reading all i can about it.)

Do i need to add a modulation stage, or will most RF chips provide this stage? I was thinking a 2.4GHz chip such as a ICS V385 8-bit LVDS video transmitter but would really like to know if anyone can suggest a better chip. Also do these have built in antennas?

is this the general process? or am i missing a stage? camera > RF transmitter > ----------> RF receiver > output

Thanks in advance, Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:57:28 -0700 Glenn wrote: | I am interested in transmitting video through a chip, but am not sure | which chip to use and am new to RF (still reading all i can about it.) | | Do i need to add a modulation stage, or will most RF chips provide | this stage? I was thinking a 2.4GHz chip such as a ICS V385 8-bit LVDS | video transmitter but would really like to know if anyone can suggest | a better chip. Also do these have built in antennas? | | is this the general process? or am i missing a stage? | camera > RF transmitter > ----------> RF receiver > output

Modulation is necessary. I'm sure many chips include this, and many do not. I can't comment on the ICS V385, but if it says it is a video transmitter, it likely has the means to modulate somehow. I presume you don't care if it is modulated by FM, AM, or VSB, as long as the receiver matches and can produce the video out.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

well, it matters a little how it is transmitted, i need to send a control signal to activate the camera (and a motor), but i'm assuming if i keep that around a 400-900MHz signal there wont be a problem transmitting video in the GHz range. As long as my control signal, and video signal dont interfere i have no preference on which band. i just though would be safer to transmit on the ISM band.

would any RF transmitter work for video transmission? and if so, what would be the required bandwidth and transmission rates?

tia! Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Any reason you can't either just go down to Radio Shack and buy a VCR multiplier, or for an industrial solution, call your local industrial CCTV place and order a transmitter? If your intention is to solve a problem in finite time, I suggest that you trade money for time and buy something; this will be much quicker and more reliable than anything you will cobble up in your basement. Yes, accquistion of knowledge and all that...but you'll be asking questions from now till St. Swithins day at this rate, and you won't be any closer to a solution.

Perhaps you'd have better luck on some rec.radio.amateur.* newsgroup; radio amateurs in North America are able to transmit TV signals on several bands, and can buy kit-type or pre-fab transmitters. You'd learn a lot about RF methods this way and would avoid all the hassle of non-amateur experimentation; any intentional radiator of RF even in the ISM bands will have regulations that apply.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

It's for a senior design project (electrical engineering). I have a year to do it, and i'm sure they'll want me to do MOST of it myself, but i'll find out for sure pretty soon.

Thanks alot for your input Bill, i'll check out that newsgroup.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn