Req circuit to record from phone line (UK)

I'm in the UK. I want to record my landline phone calls.

I once made a crude device which had a transformer (don't know its spec). A pair of wires from one side of the transformer went into the telephone wall socket and a pair of wires on the other side of the transformer went to a jack plug which goes into my recorder. There's a potentiometer adjusts the output level.

It kind of works but not very well and I get too much hum.

What would be a proper circuit to follow?

Even better, is there a non-expensive recording adapter I can buy in the UK which plugs into the phone wall socket?

This is posted to uk.telecom and to some elctronics groups.

Reply to
Lem

Either

or

will help

Reply to
Joseph Hill

"Lem"

** With WHAT as the recorder ?

** Get a small (about 50 mm square) 600 ohm to 600 ohm transformer rated for telephone line use.

On the line side, add a 0.22uF, 100volt cap and series resistor of 10 kohms, also fit a 4.7 kohm across the winding.

On the output side, use a pot to match the signal to the mic input of a cassette recorder - you can test by making a dummy phone call on the same line.

Keep the transformer away from sources of AC hum.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I find this is quite sufficient...you interpose it between the handset and the phone, by unplugging the handset cable.

Bob Eager

Try this

--

Reply to
Terry

Terry, which part of this site did you have in mind?

Reply to
Lem

Check out this months Elektor magazine, there is a design for one in there.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Atachment is available at your local Maplin store or online. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

A search term that might help you is "phone hybrid". That's what we call these audio-to-telephone interfaces in the broadcast industry.

Reply to
Walter Harley

If you want to go down this route have a look at

They have loads of products (but not 'inexpensive')

I've used several of the JK Audio 'THAT' range (THAT-1 and THAT-2).

The THAT-2

) pretty good unless you want broadcast quality kit. I think it cost me about £120 tho'

Has a phono and XLR in and out

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Etheridge

The part that says....Record your telephone calls to hard disk

-

--

Reply to
Terry

Hum is my chief problem now. Is there an alternative circuit (nothing too complicated please!) which is less likely to pick up hum.

I will be using this near my PC and all the extra wires and devices you might expect.

Reply to
Lem

Hello Lem,

This is what you want from Maplins Electronics in UK

Enjoy,

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

Christopher

For recording from a telephone, you need low background noise and good balance between the near and far party. Check out

which sounds like hi-fi even on an ordinary telephone call. There is a description at
with sample files that you can listen to. RuthWest

Reply to
Ruth

Retell = £££££ !

Reply to