Residence Power Meter And Reactive Loads Question ?

Hi,
Think I have a very basic understanding of VA, Power Factor, etc. but was wondering about this:
Even though most of the load in a typical residence is probably all
resistive, how does the power meter outside "decide" what's reactive and what's resistive ?
It measures the total current going into the house, doesn't it ?
But you should, I think, be charged Only for the current consumed/required by all the resistive loads. Is this true ?
Does it just measure total VA, and assume a Power Factor ?
If someone a lot better at this stuff could explain this for me, would be most appreciative.
Thanks, and Happy Holidays, Bob
Bob wrote:

There was a long thread here "Balancing the Breaker Box" recently. Read that. It should pretty much answer your questions.
Bob wrote:

The meter measures true power, so the power factor of the load has no effect on the charges.