Retraining as electrician

I'm looking for advice. I'm a degree qualified electrical engineer (UK), with a very practical outlook and for various reasons not getting true career satisfaction. I've considerable experience in project management and sales of capital equipment and projects. I'm considering training as an electrician, part-time initially, with the aim of establishing my own business. Any advice or links regarding quick routes to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

I suggest you develop some interests outside of work.

Consider you work as something you do for a few hours each day to make money to help pay for what your do outside of work.

The most efficient way to get more money at work is to ASK you boss what you should do in order to make more money. Since the true answer is "make your boss look good" you boss will give you honest advice. Take it.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Very philosophical John. I've plenty of interests outside of work and one reason for considering the change is to allow more time to carry them out!

Reply to
Steve

Some more philosophical bits...

Why spend so much of your waking life and focussed energy "doing something for a few hours each day to make money to help pay for what your [sic] do outside of work?" Most people consider the perfectionism and attention to detail routinely demanded in the workplace "obsessiveness" outside of the workplace. Why is it assumed that we will only really put SERIOUS effort into doing things to enable the "FUN" stuff, but that is somehow wrong to put the same SERIOUS effort into the "FUN" stuff.

My work IS what I do outside of work. My boss (me) knows what needs to be done to make more money, and refuses to do it without some sort of actual meaningful reason on top of making more money. Unfortunately, the rule still holds: 'the true answer us "make your boss look good."'

Frankly, I enjoy my work and I value quality of work and service to making more money. I am comfortable enough, and freer than I have been in my life.

Above all I value my personal ethics. As a result, I am a poor (at best) businessman, but my clients are fiercely loyal, and I don't think that I will soon be going hungry.

Of course, I also am considering going for an electrician's license, but this is more an added ability. than a career change.

I draw the line at burning out. It is never necessary to work TOO hard.

Reply to
DJ Bartlett

To learn the skills (psychomotor learning) takes about 8,000 hours for most apprenticeship programs. You probably have the cognitive ability. Affective learning may be a problem, though. Can you handle crawling, getting dirty, climbing to high places with a harness attached while carrying tools and doing this for someone that is less educated than you, but who is your foreman?

Reply to
Gerald Newton

That sounds no different to any standard industrial project I've been involved with.

Do electricians really do that?? I thought that was the Commissioning Engineer's job - but with the foreman replaced by the client.. ;-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Basically yes, but I guess if you're any good, you eventually choose your work. As regards the crawling etc. then I guess this is metaphorically what the rest of the world is doing. Things must be tougher in Alaska though .... ;-)

Reply to
Steve