Siemens residential load panel question (USA)

I installed a Siemens 200A combo meter & load panel (catalog # MC2442B1200SEC or FEC). Not yet inspected or live.

The panel is delivered configured for underground service but can be reconfigured to accept overhead service. All that is required is for the service conductors' lugs to be relocated above the meter. These photos show the panel after reconfiguring for overhead service.

The service bus is one flat bar of *very* soft aluminum. The lug attaches to the bus with a 8 mm bolt & nut (no lock washer).

This assembly (bar & lug) can be installed "up" or "down" depending on whether overhead or underground service is used, by removing the assembly, inverting it, and reinstalling.

Note that the service bus bar connects only to the meter bus via a black 5 mm self-tapping screw. Everything below the black screw is simply plastic supports.

The attachment of the service bus bar to the meter for an expected maximum

100A (per phase) seems more than this tiny screw is designed for. The majority of current doesn't flow through the screw, of course, but through the contact of the bus bar and the meter bus. These 2 pieces are held together with 5 mm screw.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a lightweight design for such a critical connection?

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Conners

The torque spec for lug nuts (the nuts that hold the lug to the bus bar) are provided on a sticker inside the panel. I was surprised to not see any mention of torque for the allen screw *in* the lug or the small 5 mm screw.

Will be asking Siemens about those...

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Conners