Single phase from 3ph Part 2

In the previous thread it was stated that when putting a single phase 120 outlet on the 3ph machine, the wires should go all the way back to a separate breaker in the sub-panel. This was needed because the 3ph breaker might not trip if there was a problem with the 120 outlet. Question: Is there a box the size off a double wide outlet box that has a breaker on one side and a regular 120 outlet on the other? I have seen these with a light switch /outlet combination. A breaker/outlet box would allow me to mount it on the back of each machine and still protect the 120 outlet. What should I be looking for? Thanks,Chief

Reply to
Chief McGee

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:57:16 GMT, Chief McGee put forth the notion that...

I think you can get a screw-in fuse holder that would work. Do you have a real neutral going back to the panel, or are you cheating and using ground for your return path? I'm guessing your machinery doesn't require a neutral, and you probably just have three phases feeding it. Fusing the phase you're using to derive the 120 volts is a good idea, but you still need a true neutral from the panel to be safe and legal.

Reply to
Checkmate

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:22:24 -0700 Checkmate wrote: | | On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:57:16 GMT, Chief McGee put forth the notion | that... | | |> In the previous thread it was stated that when putting a single phase 120 |> outlet on the 3ph machine, the wires should go all the way back to a |> separate breaker in the sub-panel. This was needed because the 3ph breaker |> might not trip if there was a problem with the 120 outlet. |> Question: Is there a box the size off a double wide outlet box that has a |> breaker on one side and a regular 120 outlet on the other? I have seen |> these with a light switch /outlet combination. A breaker/outlet box would |> allow me to mount it on the back of each machine and still protect the 120 |> outlet. What should I be looking for? Thanks,Chief | | I think you can get a screw-in fuse holder that would work. Do you have | a real neutral going back to the panel, or are you cheating and using | ground for your return path? I'm guessing your machinery doesn't | require a neutral, and you probably just have three phases feeding it. | Fusing the phase you're using to derive the 120 volts is a good idea, | but you still need a true neutral from the panel to be safe and legal.

Or an isolation transformer with the correct voltages.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam