Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

All this talk about soldering irons makes me think how crummy too much American industrial design is.
Some US industrial design looks great but some looks downright,
well, Russian.
Sure you can see crap-looking design in western Europe too but there's a lot less of it than in the US.
Take soldering irons for example. An ordinary soldering iron in the US with unregulated temperature still has great big mofo screws holding the tip.
By comparison, my 30 year old British-made basic Antex is a sleek looking baby and those Antexes are not particularly expensive.
Don't start me on the looks of cars!
--
Russian in America
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bc54d50403/svetlana-pilot-episode
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Same troll. Must be bored...
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20 Apr 21:36, Rich Webb wrote:

Hello Rich, I'm the OP. I'm sorry to hear you think I'm a troll.
I don't know what you mean by "same" becuase I have only posted here recently and I hope there isn't another post which could be misconstrued as a troll.
Perhaps you just don't like my point of view?
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Get a Metcal. No screw at all.

Mini. Citroλn. Vauxhall. Volvo. Rolls. Porsche. Fiat.
http://philip.greenspun.com/images/pcd3815/dublin-deux-chevaux-20.4.jpg
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 20 Apr 22:23, John Larkin wrote:

Yup, you're right! Which is why I wrote: "you can see crap-looking design in western Europe too ..... but there's a lot less of it than in the US".
One distinctive feature of US car design is a look I call: "I've just rammed a wall"
Mercifully, it is almost never found on west European cars and hopefully never will be. It is illustrated below.
There are probably 200 US cars with this sort of styling:
http://www.swiftweblog.com/media/1/20050616-C2006_300_2.jpg
for every US car that looks like this:
http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/Chrysler11.jpg
and that one is still very angular.
--

inc car group

Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are wrong. Despite the recession, Chrysler has sold considerably more than 200 of that model.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 21 Apr 00:01, John-Del wrote:

I should hope so too! :-) However I didn't say that. I said:
"There are probably 200 US cars with this sort of styling [Chrysler 300] for every US car that looks like this [Chrysler ME] and that one is still very angular."
Of course that Chrysler ME 4-12 is a concept car and not for sale.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Allus Smith wrote:

This is not a concept car and you can actually buy one for a reasonable price. I lately had the pleasure and that thing sure corners well. Best of all, on the freeway it doesn't use more gas than a compact passenger car:
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette /
Same here:
http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/viper /
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 21 Apr 01:39, Joerg wrote:

The Corvette and Viper are lovely cars. They're not exactly typical of American design.
That's what I meant when I said there are probably 200 cars which have that "hit a brick wall" look for every one which looks sleek and smooth.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Allus Smith wrote:

They are as American as it gets ;-)

Well, I am not a great fan of US passenger cars. Not because of the looks (where I could care less because that doesn't matter to me as a buyer) but because of reliability. US trucks, however, are real work horses and they don't really have any EU equivalent. AFAIK only two foreign companies, Toyota and Nissan, make such trucks.
Then, the little Jeep looks quite cool.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Jeep reliability and build quality is, however, a bad joke. I've had the opportunity to compare ten year old Jeeps (Cherokee and Grand Cherokee) with my ten year old Ford - the Jeeps have all been in poor condition at lower mileage. I've also found the Dodge/GMC trucks to be better built than Jeeps, which seems odd. I conly guess that the old AMC spirit of building rubbish that falls apart still prevails at Jeep.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Steve Firth wrote:

The Excursion is holding up spectacularly well. 125k mainly urban miles and nothing serious has fallen off or broken in close to seven years. Trim doesn't squeak or rattle (but is resolutely 'hard touch'), leather is as new, engine is still near-silent and incredibly smooth, gearbox is obscenely smooth shifting and responsive. I'm amazed how good it's been.
It's needed a couple of wheel bearings (understandable at 5 tons, up from 3 ton 'standard' weight), an alternator (again understandable with extra electrical loads) and the AC radiator changing (once again, extra load compared to factory spec).
Only things that have broken that you could reasonably blame Ford for are a coil pack went down at 110k miles (£27) and the fuel tank sender has packed in, but only to the gauge - the computer still knows how much fuel is in there.
--
Pete M - OMF#9

Range Rover V8 Turbo
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ahhh - seppos in attendance!
Neither of the above match the fuel economy of my proper sized passenger car.
--
And remember kids, RAID is safe and the UPS never fails, and Cisco routers
never develop intermittent faults, and external hard drives never fail with
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim S Kemp wrote:

Have you ever driven a Corvette? What was the gas mileage?
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
much like they were saying:

I've never driven one. Nobody this side of the pond feels they need to compensate quite that badly for such a tiny penis.
But, fortunately, we can refer to the official figures.
That'll be www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk, btw.
The extra-urban number for the 'vette is 31.4mpg. Quite impressive, I'll agree, given the type of vehicle.
But not exactly comparable with the official extra-urban figure for a "compact passenger car" - let's say a 1.6TDCi Focus. 74.3mpg.
If you look at the much more representative combined figure, the Focus achieves 62.8mpg vs 21.2 for the 'vette. That's the "economical" 6.2 'vette - the 7.0 Z06 and supercharged ZR1 are worse, of course.
As for the Viper... The official figures for the SRT10 roadster (only Viper we get through official channels, so the only official figures) are 21.4 extra-urban and 13.4 combined.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Is the Chrysler ME anything like Windows ME?
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
John-Del wrote:

To be fair, they did try to make it look like a Bentley!
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If you want to stuff a huge V8 with 200 tons of air conditioning and power-everything under the hood, you need a lot of hood.
But Cadillac and most things Chrysler are admittedly over the top. They corner the ugly-car-lover market.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:51:20 -0700, John Larkin

For good reason. In 1978, the congress critters passed the gas guzzlers tax: <http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/index.htm <http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/info.shtml#guzzler The typical land yacht, with about 15mpg, pays about $4,000 in gas guzzlers tax.
The idea was to discourage big ugly oversized non-commercial vehicles. However, they exempted anything over 6000 lbs GVW. So, in accordance to the law of unintended consequences, the industry simply delivered monstrous vehicles that officially weighted 6001 lbs and save a bundle on the taxes.
Of course, the government derives substantial revenue from taxing what are now economy and mid size cars, so don't expect the situation to change in the foreseeable future.
--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831-336-2558 snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If the politicoes had any guts+sense, they'd just up the taxes on gasoline, and let the market take care of the rest.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.