Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:54:46 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

I could live with arbitrarily high gasonline taxes, since I only have a bike. ;-)
(admittedly, bus fares might go up a bit.)
Cheers! Rich
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:23:57 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

That's not my call, thank you very much.
Cheers! Rich
Smitty Two wrote:

He doesn't think. That's the problem. As long as he can get his booze, he doesn't care.

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:53:49 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Gawd, you people sure do make up a lot of stuff. Prices are going up anyway, for any number of reasons; I have no control over that in any case. (Try buying food that used no fuel in the manufacturing.) All I was saying is that I don't buy gasoline.
Are you advocating lobbying for fuelless food delivery? Sorry, I'm not one of those activist fools.
Thanks, Rich
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:48:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Until we all storm Washington, DC with our pitchforks and torches. >:->
Cheers! Rich

http://image.hotrod.com/f/8929747/113_0310_12z+1978_ford_fairmont_futura+front_side_view.jpg
I'm quite impressed at how ugly they've made that. It's the combination of the little back back window and that huge pillar which seals it. Lose the back seats, and glass, chop the roof back to the pillar, turn it into a ute and it'd be a lot less wrong.

It actually looks as though someone got the basic idea for a pick up truck and then found out they were meant to be designing a passenger car.

--
Clint Sharp

On 22 Apr 07:31, Clint Sharp wrote:

Not too sure what this is doing in alt.engineering.electrical.
I remember hiring a new one of these for a few weeks when it called the Ford LTD Crown Victoria. White walled tires, etc. It looked dated even when it was new.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_LTD_Crown_Victoria_sedan_ 1.jpg>
The front seat was easily wide enough for 3 but too uncomfortable for even 2. There were four of us and the seating preference was to have a driver in the front but no one else on that awful bench seat.
The handling was too poor for words.
Most amazing of all, it had this great big rear-defogger switch in the middle of the dashboard like it was some emergency 911 button. It would be great to see a photo of that monstrosity of a button sticking out all on its own from the center of the dash.
It seemed that the design team never met.
Franklin
BUY ANY BRAND OF CAR AND ACCESSORIES FOR your CAR
Clik to go
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&campidS36229480&toolid 001&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motors.ebay.com%2F
writes

Allus Smith wrote:

That last one looks more like a racing car than something for everyday use.

What's wrong with the 300C? Put a mesh grille on it and most people think it's a Bentley. I don't mind kicking the septics for their dreadful taste in car design, but the 300C or Merc E-class as we call it here, is a relatively successful design. It's just a shame that the powertrain and suspension engineering isn't as good as the chassis.

The design is reminiscent of the Chrysler Airstream, which was a major flop 70+ years ago.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

AFAIK the Airstream was not a major flop. The Airflow was, but mostly due to really bad manufacturing defects.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

I might have gotten the name wrong, as I was in a rush. Regardless, Chrysler produced a "streamlined" car that the public didn't warm to.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Reason I mentioned it was that the Airflow doesn't look similar to the PT Cruiser at all while the Airstream does (with the PT Cruiser being a whole lot smaller).
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
Joerg wrote:

The Airflow was Ferdinand Porsche's inspiration for the Volkswagen. That's why most people's immediate reaction on seeing it is "Whoa--a huge Beetle!"
Cheers,
Phil Hobbs
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Not really. AFAIK it was this one that inspired Porsche, he supposedly had technical discussions with Hans Ledwinka who designed the Tatra car:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tatra_T_77a.jpg
Hard to say though because the Chrysler Airflow came to market at just about the same time. However, back in those days there was no fast mail, Internet or even air travel between the US and Europe so information exchanges would have been slow.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /
I don't know which brands you're referring to, but I've owned EDSYN (Engineering Dedicated To Suit Your Needs!) irons for 20+ years, and they don't look anything like that.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

... and wherever in the world I happened to be, there were always those Weller stations. Antex? Never seen it, never heard of it. Strange, ain't it?
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

The weller irons were once the best money could buy - then they got took over by cooper tools, since then the bean counters reduced the thickness of the iron plating so the bit oxidises in the barrel, "freezing" in and impossible to remove without damaging the element.
Years ago I bought a new weller - the stat lasted nearly 2 weeks before welding closed, they sent me a replacement FOC which lasted nearly a month before also welding closed - unfortunately I was away from my bench at the time and it burned out the element, I've been using Antex irons ever since, they usually last at least 5 years as long as the bit is replaced at the proper interval and I can buy at least a 30 year supply of Antex irons for just the weller (not including transformer base) iron.
I'd only use weller again if it was free (and I was allowed to keep an Antex on standby for when the weller packs up).