Stripped Service Panel holes

What is the correct way to secure an electric panel cover when the panel bolt hole threads are stripped?

I recognize the potential hazard with using pointed sheet metal screws. I was considering going to a larger diameter bolt from the #10 which will not secure the cover. If going to a larger size bolt is the best option, what is the name of these blunt tip bolts and where would the bolts be purchased?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Reichert

The larger screws are as good an option as any. Go to any real hardware store and browse the shelves of screws and you'll find something that will work. Self tapping would be easiest, but you could also pick up a threading tap and tap the holes out for ordinary machine screws. This is really a mechanical issue, not so much electrical.

Reply to
James Sweet

A good hardware store will have a speed nut or even a regular threaded

10-32 nut on a clip that goes over the edge of the panelboard enclosure.
Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for all replies.

Reply to
John Reichert

#10 Tech screws (self tapping) work just fine I do it all the time. just look and make sure there are no wires behind them.

MLR

Reply to
<aecontrols