Stupid question of the day....

But that wasn't the question. You were responding to a comment made in the specific context of gold-on-copper, to the effect that "galvanic reaction" was the reason that such a combination wasn't a good idea. Sorry, but the "galvanic reaction" of dissimilar metals has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand.

There actually very often IS another layer (commonly, nickel) placed between a copper conductor and a top protective layer of gold, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with a "galvanic reaction" between these two metals. (If it did, following the original incorrect response on this subject, the problem would then become WORSE due to the fact that there would now be two such interfaces rather than one. Remember, if you can, that the original comment along these lines said that a "galvanic reaction" was a problem between ANY two metals.) The reason that an intermediate layer of nickel is often used in this case has to do with the fact that, left to themselves, gold and copper will tend to diffuse into one another. This causes a problem in electrical applications (where gold-plating copper conductors is being done to prevent corrosion) primarily on the gold side of things, as the copper diffusing up through the gold layer will eventually reach the surface and create the very same corrosion problem that the gold was supposed to be preventing. Nickel doesn't diffuse into gold like copper does, hence its use here.

My, again with the personal attacks; I suppose in the absence of practical knowledge, that's about all one is left with.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:01:40 GMT, "daestrom" Gave us:

Since a thin round copper wire has a very low emissivity it wont give up its heat all that fast. This will mean that your thermal gradient won't be as prevalent as you suggest. The proof is when one takes a copper wire and places it across a battery's terminals. Notice how the entire wire turns a nice cherry red quite evenly, all the way up to where it is attached to any form of sinking element.

The current throughout the wire will be even, and it is that current which generates the heat, or more precisely, the resistance to said current flow.

If the wire were giving up its heat real fast, like that of a finned heat sink with air passing over it, I might agree. In the case of bare copper, however, the temperature throughout the wire is going to be very even. Your gradient will be nearly undetectable.

For a very large diameter copper bus, it MIGHT have a slight gradient between the center and the outer surface, but not much. For wire, it is as even as even gets.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:05:54 GMT, "daestrom" Gave us:

Actually, it is an oxide inhibitor, and its function is to seal away oxygen.

It too is conductive.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:58:07 GMT, "Bob Myers" Gave us:

Hey Bobby... f*ck you. Filter me like you have already claimed to do, you petty asswipe.

Reply to
TokaMundo

Some people say that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Obviously there seems to be no shortage of stupid answers.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:58:33 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

The table I saw shows the AC and DC resistance as being exactly the same for both.

Your flaw is where you failed to note the topic given in the CRC handbook.

60 Hz is NOT high frequency... at all.

Try some calculations at 100 kHz and you'll see that those frequencies down near zero (ie 60Hz) yield very nearly nil difference.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:05:04 GMT, "Bob Myers" Gave us:

As if declaring that someone has "no practical knowledge" isn't a personal attack.

Fuck off retard. You have social problems.

Reply to
TokaMundo

The Navy also deals with lots of salt water. ;-)

Reply to
John Popelish

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Maybe your table rounds? Please cite source as well as I did.

I did note this, as you quoted above.

The formulas are functions of wire diameter, wire resistivity and frequency, and do not lose validity merely because a thick wire has AC resistance greater than DC resistance at a frequency that is easy to label "NOT high".

And as you asked... Ratio of AC resistance to DC resistance of 17 mm diameter copper wire at 100 KHz is about 21.5. This does not invalidate the calculation for 60 Hz.

You would have been better off claiming that resistance 2% higher at 60 Hz than at DC is a negligible increase.

Don Klipstein

I'm not a son, you illiterate and uncouth obscurantist troll. I already used reason in the proof, which you wilfully ignore. It uses maths too, which puts a limiting case on the Lorentz corrections, remembering that GR and QM are incompatible. It looks like my other replier didn't read it too or he would be forced to agree with me. The people here are retards.

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

There are stupid questions, those that could be easily found on one's own.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

You can't prove anything. You're wrong in everything.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:12:37 -0400, John Popelish Gave us:

Exactly! :-]

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:50:04 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that we actually call ourselves sentient beings with the way some of you act.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 04:02:04 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

The whole point is that it does NOT list the resistances as being different at that frequency, for that wire, AND it had several digits shown after the last significant figure given.

That and pumping the numbers through the formula myself with a 20+ mantissa calculator show the same result.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On 2 Aug 2005 21:58:47 -0700, "Autymn D. C." Gave us:

Hey, you lysdexic dufus! I was on your side!

Reply to
TokaMundo

On 2 Aug 2005 22:29:16 -0700, "Autymn D. C." Gave us:

Alright, when did another troll get invited here?

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:20:29 GMT, TokaMundo wrote:

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields