surge suppression

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:


. Apparently you understand the arguments as well as you did when you provoked the comment from trader4. .

. It was May 2 on a thread with remarkably similar arguments.
Apparently you understand the arguments now as well as you did when you provoked the comments from trader4.
"I suggest you go back and read what w_ has posted in this thread and do a google for some of his other posts in similar threads on the subject. The issue is quite simple. If you believe w_, then plug-in surge protectors offer absolutely no benefit and are in fact actually destructive. If you believe the IEEE and manufacturer's of both whole house surge protectors as well as plug-in surge protectors, as well as other credible sources, then plug-ins do in fact offer protection and can be part of an effective solution."
And "I have to agree that this is Phantasy Physics."
--
bud--

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| Apparently you understand the arguments now as well as you did when you | provoked the comments from trader4.
I am for more able to carry on a discussion about the topic that you have tried to do. Instead of talking about something, where it might be possible to point out specific errors in your understanding, you prefer to just point at some document ... as if you understood that document. It may well be the case you don't understand what you point to. That may be related to why it does not seem to relate.
| "I suggest you go back and read what w_ has posted in this thread and do | a google for some of his other posts in similar threads on the subject.
I have no interest in what he posts. He might be right or wrong and I don't care. Since _you_ are the one who is making _vague_ asserts and misapplying contents of other documents (that the document writer cannot defend because he is not here, or refute your usage), then it is _your_ postings that I have some interest in. My goal is to see if you can actually post _in_ your _very_ own _words_ something that suggests you have any understanding of this topic at all. I'm quite patient, so if you want to wait until year 2012 to post anything sensible, that's fine by me.
| The issue is quite simple. If you believe w_, then plug-in surge | protectors offer absolutely no benefit and are in fact actually | destructive. If you believe the IEEE and manufacturer's of both whole | house surge protectors as well as plug-in surge protectors, as well as | other credible sources, then plug-ins do in fact offer protection and | can be part of an effective solution."
Your statement is conditional on belief in someone else whom I do not consider to be an expert.
At least you have started to tone down your assertion a bit and bring it in the scope of reality. Yes, plug-in surge protectors can have a role in surge protection, and can do some of that protection even if nothing else is there.
| And "I have to agree that this is Phantasy Physics."
Physics is physics. If some specific thing I say is something you believe is not correct, then show me that _you_ understand it in a different way by saying what it is you believe I have stated in error, and state your belief of what is correct. I'm not interested in your reference to another document unless you can, for yourself, make a complete statement of exactly what it is you are arguing, so that the document is merely serving to support you (assuming you have not taken it out of context, which could happen if your really do not understand the topic).
For the sake of your own posting, start by assuming that everyone believes YOU are an expert. You could simply say someone is wrong. But that won't do any good for anyone. You should point out EXACTLY what is said wrong AND you should then state the CORRECT facts, all by yourself, just as if you were an expert. Then maybe we can figure out if your really understand it or not. Who knows, maybe people will start looking up to you as an expert if you can accomplish it.
--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
| by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

You're on the wrong side of this one, once again, Phil. You don't seem to even care to read the recent threads on this subject, much less care about the history of w_'s silly quest for anyone who utters the word "surge" on the Usenet. The fact is that you're asking for information that was buried long ago (i.e. a buttinski).
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| says...
|> |> | Apparently you understand the arguments now as well as you did when you |> | provoked the comments from trader4. |> |> I am for more able to carry on a discussion about the topic that you have |> tried to do. Instead of talking about something, where it might be possible |> to point out specific errors in your understanding, you prefer to just point |> at some document ... as if you understood that document. It may well be the |> case you don't understand what you point to. That may be related to why it |> does not seem to relate. | | You're on the wrong side of this one, once again, Phil. You don't | seem to even care to read the recent threads on this subject, much | less care about the history of w_'s silly quest for anyone who | utters the word "surge" on the Usenet. The fact is that you're | asking for information that was buried long ago (i.e. a buttinski).
Yet, no one ... NOT EVEN YOU ... dares so much as to say specifically what I am wrong about. And that's the whole point of why this thread just keeps on going, because you guys just don't, or can't, actually defend your position with your own understanding of the topic (which seems to be lacking quite a but in Bud and Tom, and remains to be seen in KRW).
--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
| by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

I did, dickhead. You're completely wrong about this entire thread.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
|> | says...
|> |> |> |> | Apparently you understand the arguments now as well as you did when you |> |> | provoked the comments from trader4. |> |> |> |> I am for more able to carry on a discussion about the topic that you have |> |> tried to do. Instead of talking about something, where it might be possible |> |> to point out specific errors in your understanding, you prefer to just point |> |> at some document ... as if you understood that document. It may well be the |> |> case you don't understand what you point to. That may be related to why it |> |> does not seem to relate. |> | |> | You're on the wrong side of this one, once again, Phil. You don't |> | seem to even care to read the recent threads on this subject, much |> | less care about the history of w_'s silly quest for anyone who |> | utters the word "surge" on the Usenet. The fact is that you're |> | asking for information that was buried long ago (i.e. a buttinski). |> |> Yet, no one ... NOT EVEN YOU ... dares so much as to say specifically what I |> am wrong about. And that's the whole point of why this thread just keeps on |> going, because you guys just don't, or can't, actually defend your position |> with your own understanding of the topic (which seems to be lacking quite a |> but in Bud and Tom, and remains to be seen in KRW). | | I did, dickhead. You're completely wrong about this entire thread.
Neither did you ... say SPECIFICALLY. You, like these other guys, just like to say someone is wrong. Sometimes you say that _everything_ is wrong (which is putting yourself _way_ out on a limb to show that each and everything said is in fact wrong by at least saying what is right).
You can start by taking every statement I've say and substituting what it is you think is right. Be sure to be complete and cover all statments to support your "completely wrong about this entire thread" assertion.
--
|WARNING: Due to extreme spam, googlegroups.com is blocked. Due to ignorance |
| by the abuse department, bellsouth.net is blocked. If you post to |
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Again Bud lies. w_tom has repeatedly stated a plug-in protector protects from a surge that typically is not destructive. A surge made irrelevant by protection inside appliances is also made irrelevant by one less expensive and superior 'whole house' protector.
IEEE, NIST, and numerous other sources say a plug-in protector - especially when a 'whole house' protector is not installed - can contribute to appliance damage. w_tom only repeats what they report. Bud denies this. Bud does not market 'whole house' protectors. Page 42 Figure 8 in Bud's citation. Plug-in protector earths surge energy 8000 volts destructively through an adjacent TV. w_tom did not first say that. Bud's IEEE guide says that. Bud even lies about what his guide says. Profits are at risk.
Another industry professional says what effective protection does: http://www.ipclp.com/html/aud_ho_faq.html

Effective protection means surge energy does not enter a building. Even Bud's NIST citation says:

Page 42 Figure 8 in Bud's IEEE guide shows an adjacent TV 8000 volts damaged because a plug-in (point of connection) protector does not make surge energy magically disappear. Same is the first conclusion in Martzloff's IEEE paper:

Bud denies what is common knowledge among industry professionals. An effective protector shunts (connect, clamp, divert) surge energy into earth. Since plug-in protectors don't do that, then plug-in protectors can only protect from surges that typically do no damage. Bud must lie. Lying, distorting facts, and posting insults are acceptable for marketing?
Where is that manufacturer spec that claims surge protection? No plug-in protector makes that protection claim - as Bud admits by his silence. Bud refuses to post what does not exist: protection claims. Bud will post mockery and insults while every responsible industry professional contradicts Bud. Bud even lies about what w_tom posted.
A plug-in protector is a solution for surges that typically cause no damage. Protection made further redundant by spending less money to install one 'whole house' protector. An effective solution is not promoted by irresponsible companies that only sell plug-in protectors - at obscene profit. What has the same protection circuit as a $150 Monster Cable protector? The $10 protector sold in grocery stores. Surge energy must be dissipated harmlessly in earth. Plug-in protectors do not claim to protect from that typically destructive surge - as Bud admits by his silence.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
w_tom wrote:

. With minimal mental ability poor w_ could have seen the quote is from someone else.
w_ then repeats the usual drivel, debunked many times.
Still never seen - any source that agrees with w_ that plug-in suppressors are not effective.
Still never answered - embarrassing questions: - Why do the only 2 examples of protection in the IEEE guide use plug-in suppressors? - Why does the NIST guide says plug-in suppressors are "the easiest solution"? - Why does the IEEE guide say in an example "the only effective way of protecting the equipment is to use a multiport protector"?
For real science read the IEEE and NIST guides. Both say plug-in suppressors are effective.
--
bud--

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Who should be believed? The sales promoter who refused to admit what he does - or the engineer who designed this stuff even decades ago, who suffered direct lightning strikes, and who saw the simple, well proven, protection work every time.
Why does Bud post insults? Not one plug-in protector claims protection from each type of surge. Even the sales promoter cannot find a single spec that makes his claims. That is what Bud does. Lie. Insult. Confuse. Disparage. Misrepresent. Deny. Even his own citations show a problem with plug-in protectors - especially when one 'whole house' protector is not installed. Page 42 Figure 8. Plug-in protector did not make surge energy disappear as Bud claims. It earthed that surge 8000 volts destructively through an adjacent TV.
Bud's other citation says same. NIST citation on Adobe page 19 of 24:

Bud says earth grounding need not exist. His plug-in protectors magically make surge energy disappear. Why do we know this? Bud posts mockery and insults - and still cannot post a single manufacturer spec that claims such protection. Where is that protection spec? Does not exist. No earth ground means no effective protection.
What does every high reliability facility spend their money on? Plug-in protectors? Of course not. They upgrade the earthing and install a 'whole house' protector as close to that earth ground as is practicable. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. A reality stated without insults. A reality found where ever surge damage can not happen. The best and least expensive solution for every building.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
w_tom wrote:

. w_ is so pathetic. .

. Poor w_ is insulted by reality. .

. Specs were provided long ago and ignored, as always. .

. The lie repeated. .

. As always poor w_ tries to twist what the guides say. What does the NIST guide really say about plug-in suppressors? They are the "easiest solution". .

. w_ is not smart enough to figure out what anyone says so he invents what people say. .

. w_'s religious mantra will keep him safe from doubt and conflicting ideas.
Still never seen - any source that agrees with w_ that plug-in suppressors are not effective.
Still never answered - embarrassing questions: - Why do the only 2 examples of protection in the IEEE guide use plug-in suppressors? - Why does the NIST guide says plug-in suppressors are "the easiest solution"? - Why does the IEEE guide say in an example "the only effective way of protecting the equipment is to use a multiport protector"?
For real science read the IEEE and NIST guides. Both say plug-in suppressors are effective.
--
bud--

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
w_tom wrote:

Still not comprehending ANYTHING, Wacko?

Bullshit. A lot of imported electronics do not have low pass filters. Your ignorance of any electronic products built for the consumer market is way off mark. Show me a TV or radio with a low pass filter on the RF input, moron.

Sigh. So much blatant ignorance, so little time to teach.

If anyone is continuing to post a diatribe, it is you, with your cut & past drivel. You have been telling the same lies for years, and trying to twist whatever anyone says into something else.
I do have design experience. In telemetry equipment, including a system aboard the International Space Station. I, and others have asked repeatedly, what YOUR QUALIFICATIONS ARE, but you won't answer. What degrees do you have, what school, and your full name so we can verify YOUR QUALIFICATIONS. It's time to put up, or shut up.
As far as the alarm design, CMOS was a brand new technology, and most designers made mistakes. In case you don't know, first generation CMOS had no protection built into the ICs and were extremely fragile, kind of like your overblown ego. They could be damaged during assembly & testing, then fail weeks, or moths later. The alarm panels had no protection, and some used a direct connection to an input. Every spike degraded the chip, and when degraded enough, they failed. I worked in failure analysis, qualified components, and removed vendors from our approved lists. Even long term supplies were removed when they developed problems they wouldn't acknowledge. Semiconductors, crystals, potentiometers & other passives, power supplies, even mechanical hardware and hookup wire. I also designed & built est fixtures, wrote software for automated fixtures. Those are engineering jobs, not a 'TV repairman' like you keep calling me, in your very lame attempt to insult me.
What have you posted to help the OP? I suggested a better wire, all you have done is misdirect. What are you? A failed ambulance chaser? No matter what thread you pop up in, you do your damnedest to drive the OP off with your mindless drivel. You have NEVER posted anything to help the OP in any thread I have seen in all the years of your lies and misdirection..

Then you don't know a damn thing about first generation CMOS, or as RCA called it, COSMOS when they developed the original 4000 series of chips. I still have the original RCA handbook here. I got it while stationed in Alaska, working as a broadcast engineer.

Prove it. You never saw the hardware in question, or the installation. I never told the OP to add inductors, I stated that it was a part of the design of modern panels. Once again you are telling lies.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 9, 6:16am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: 8X-------------

ur theory is wrong i am afraid. inductors resist current changes...capacitors resist voltage changes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.