UK - Clearance around Switchboards

We have an 11kV distribution switchboard comprising 8 circuit breakers. There is about 1.5 metres clearance at each side of the board. I need to add one more circuit breaker to one side of the board, and it will be about

800mm wide. Are there any UK rules/guidelines as to the minimum clearances that need to be maintained around switchboards of this nature? TIA
Reply to
BIGEYE

I have let a few days pass to see if some one currently working would give you some advice, but since there have been no replies here goes.

You need to consider your problem in the context of "The Electricity at Work Regulations". I have probably not got a copy of the latest edition, and you ought to get hold of an up tp date copy, and of the "Memorandum of guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations" published by the HSE.

In the 1989 edition of the regulations, regulation 15 covered "Working space, access and lighting" and said "For the purposes of enabling injury to be prevented, adequate working space, adequate means of access and adequate lighting shall be provided at all electrical equipment on or near which work is being done in circumstances which may give rise to danger."

As so often with British Regulations there are no dimensions quoted, so it is up to you to decide, but if you get it wrong you could be in trouble when there is an accident.

With your particular problem, in my mind the question would be "Is there a need for access to the rear of the switchboard, to joint cable, or to operate a voltage transformer for example ? If so with a 6.4m long switchboard I would argue that you need access from the rear passageway at both ends. I do not think the 700mm that would remain if you installed the extra circuit-breaker would be adequate access, and therefore you should not do it. If the switchboard is jointed from the front, and there are no controls at the back then it would probably be OK to install the extra circuit-breaker.

Finally I would emphasise that you need to consult the latest version of the legislation, and that no one can give you a definitive answer without seeing the actual switchboard.

I hope this helps.

John

Reply to
John Rye