UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

You can't have looked very hard. Bayonet is still more common for things like pendant lamps. Of course if your hosts only had IKEA products they'll be ES. ;-)

Many desk lamps these days are low voltage, and these don't use ES fittings either.;-)

Dunno what you mean by lab equipment? Bayonets are only used for lighting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my experience both ES and BC holders each have their own disadvantages.

Poor quality BC holders often deform on the lugs. ES holders can be wired wrongly and make it very easy to get a shock when changing bulbs. ES holders are notorious for jamming.

Over all I'd say quality BCs are best. Cheap BCs are no better than ES holders.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I've never ever seen such problems with "proper" design cheap BC sockets. However an increasing number of lamps supplied from places that generally use ES fittings seem to have some very nasty looking non-standard design BC holders which I would not touch with the proverbial bargepole - even if it were wired for only 1.5volts! Perhaps it's these abominations of which you speak?

David

Reply to
David Lee

This is the first post to get this number of replies since I have been monitoring the group, can we have more posting from the UK please.

Regarding ES v BC, BC are the best overall for ease of replacement and safety, providing you buy a Uk made one and not a cheap import.

Bill B

Reply to
BillB

i prefer ec type sometimes the bayonet type have a pronounced wobble when fitted and i'm not sure the contact made is thus a good one

Reply to
Mindwipe

Something's pretty fishy about this post, too!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Screw the bulb in then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Quite. You are posting upside down and not trimming. Therefore the context is unclear.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Christian McArdle explained :

Usually due to someone over tightening - Screw the lamp in just enough to provide adequate contact.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oh my God - please not again!

Run away and play little boy and don't waste bandwidth with irrelevant crap if you can't stay on-topic! The posting was factually incorrect but it WAS perfectly clear, although the manner of the posting may not comply with your own dogmatic Lillipution religious beliefs. Had I been posting that reply then I doubt that I would have trimmed very much either, since the referenced material was still relatively short and totally informative. Your effort in contrast has completely removed any indication of what it is that you are whining about and hence it is your pointless whinge in which the context is not just unclear but totally absent!

David (who doesn't give a damn which end of your egg you open!)

Reply to
David Lee

according to BS7671 you cannot wire a es fitting backwards as the live does not have to be wired to the center pin

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

Your copy of BS7671 would appear to be missing regulation 553-03-04. However, lampholders conforming to EN 60238 (both contacts only make connection just as lamp is fully screwed home, and the screw thread of the lampholder is not connected to either contact) are exempt.

It is also a PAT test failure to find an ES lampholder where the ES lampholder is connected the wrong way round.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Correct, my mistake thats what you get for using memory and not the regs

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

You'll note that the message was posted to three groups, so we have no way of telling which you are referring to :)

alex

Reply to
Alex