Use of 13 watt fluorescent bulbs.

I recently bought some 13 watt fluorescent bulbs and they certainly give out a lot of light. A warning on the bulb says not to be used in
totally enclosed recessed fixtures. I would like to use them in a four light fixture where the each bulb would be in an enclosed 6" diameter glass bowl.What is the downside of doing this? Is it a safety issue or is it one of bulb life? Ken in Iowa

I tried it. The bulbs didn't last long. I'm buying enclosed fixtures with built in ballasts to replace them with. They use the pin type CF bulbs.

I've had mixed results with 100 watt-equivalent CF lamps. In my kitchen light, surface mounted with a 10" diameter x 5" deep straight-side globe, the bulb lasted only a few months before going dim. Another pair, in hanging 1920's schoolroom lights with globes 18" across and brass shells, have been working for more than three years, but they're used only one or two nights a week.
Mike

I had them in a 6" enclosed glass globe, just as the OP is asking about. I bought a bulk pack, 6 or 8, can't remember. In about three months, only 2 were left. One blew the tube up. Two had brown bases (they started out ivory). I pulled the remaining two and used them elsewhere because I was worried about them starting a fire.

They seem to work better if you can mount them base up.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:52:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Opps, turn this message over Base DOWN ... sorry

Very likely. I've never had trouble with CF bulbs base down in a table lamp. The kitchen light has a horizontal socket plus heat/light reflective backing while the school lights are base up with a heavy porcelain socket and brass shell to dissipate heat.
Mike