Made something fun for my mill yesterday

I wanted to make a machine shield and for some reason wanted to do it
DIY.
I bought a polycarbonate piece from a face shield, and a 24" gooseneck
rated for 4 lbs (this is Harbor Freight style rating on a Chinese
import, but it can hold one pound easily).
I milled a T nut style thing (actually shaped like a fat letter I),
that goes into a slot on the forward face of the table. That's the
slot that is milled on a vertical surface and has a 3/8" width, this
is not slot on the horizontal part of the table.
This adaptor is held in place by two 1/4"-20 screws that tighten it by
screwing them in.
The gooseneck has a 1/4-20 threaded male end (looks like it was made
for photography), and is also screwed into the I-nut.
I am going to make a crescent shaped bar that the face shield would
attach to (so that it is not flat, but kind of round), and attach that
to the gooseneck. Then I could position my shield based on the need of
the moment.
Ignoramus11334
Good for you! that slot in the front is for the limit switch stops. Sounds like they are missing from your mill.
Paul
Reply to
co_farmer
You might like to add a 3-watt white Luxeon, K2 or Cree LED with 30-degree collimator to your chipshield. It would be small, run cool, be very rugged and provide shadow-free illumination because the direction is very nearly the same as your line of sight thru the shield.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Don, that's an interesting idea, but, as it stands, I have a lot of light just for the mill. Specifically:
- Four 48" T12 fluorescent lights on the ceiling right above the Bridgeport, 40 watt each. (two Home Depot double light fixtures)
- Standard Bridgeport light on swiveling joints on the left
- 25W CFL light on the right
That's totally besides the remaining four light fixtures in the garage, each is two 32 watt 48" fluorescent lights.
You can see the lights in this awkward photo:
I really like having a lot of light.
So, I can see the cutter very well already.
Ignoramus11334