Good day flying yesterday

I haven't been posting much because I've been flying control line a lot, and holding the conversation over at stunthanger.com. I had crashed the Nobler Wednesday, so yesterday was RC and half-A control line.

Nice day yesterday. I'm working on a 1/10th scale Laird Solution, and finally got it all sorted out -- oh joy! I had to enlarge the fin over the already-enlarged fin that I had (Jimmy Doolittle complained about yaw stability on the original). I was despairing because even with the larger fin the plane was still twitchy in the air and had trouble climbing.

Then I put on a higher pitch prop and the thing came alive! Then I put on a bigger, even _higher_ pitch prop and it came aliver! I'm not sure what it is about that airframe, but the original was a 21-foot wingspan biplane with a 400 horsepower engine, and both of the ones that I've built just don't work right unless they're overpowered.

Man, that is one fun plane.

Now I need to check current with that monster prop, to make sure I'm not overtaxing the motor or battery.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:47:05 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote in :

Fixable? It sure was pretty.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

in :

Getting fixed, in fact. Had it been a contest situation I could have had it back in the air after an hour of sloppy work. Instead I took my time (I was too bummed to even take it out of the car until Thursday night, actually), and now it's just waiting for another roll of that gawdaful orange Econocoat to show up at the hobby shop, and a bit of fixing stuff around the engine.

Pending delivery of some film covering, it may be in the air this coming Saturday.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:12:40 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote in :

So much for "using it all up"!

Happy landings!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

in :

That's the big trap of trying to make a plane look nice. I should just buy whatever is on sale, and cover the thing in a patchwork.

I could do the same with colored dope: just maintain a gallon can of "whatever", to be used for painting...

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott